Copper/Metal Roofing/Gutter Installers in New York City?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Siding' started by 1victorianfarmhouse, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2017 #1

1victorianfarmhouse

1victorianfarmhouse

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member

A friend of mine lives in New York City and is having a tough time finding a reputable copper gutter installer to do some smaller repairs, and may also be considering a slate roof. The house is about 80 years old....

Any comments or recommendations? I have no dog in this fight, just trying to help a friend who cares about his old house....

Thanks,

Vince

2. Feb 13, 2017 #2

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

Can’t help you out Vince. Copper is fast becoming a thing of the past. I asked for copper flashings 30 years ago and the builder looked at me like I said gold.

Copper and slate have him ask around who does the old churches might get a lead.

3. Feb 13, 2017 #3

1victorianfarmhouse

1victorianfarmhouse

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member

Thanks, Bud. He has been asking around and is frustrated with the lack of info he can find. He is willing to pay for a quality contractor to do what he wants. I gave him the name of a guy I happened to hear about in Boston, Garrett Laws of The Copper & Slate Company, Inc.. I wanted to see if there might be anybody else closer. Someone who does churches etc is a good idea!

Vince

4. Feb 13, 2017 #4

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Have him call the local roofing supply house and ask for a referal to a speciality roofer. Not the big box stores.

bud16415 likes this.
  5. Feb 13, 2017 #5

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

This is what I found at my go to source for obscure trades;http://www.thebluebook.com/search.h...m=Copper+gutters&geographicarea=New+York+City

If you type just copper gutters in the trades column there are a number of related specialties that are available.

6. Feb 15, 2017 #6

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

7. Oct 12, 2017 #7

Guttersmiths

Guttersmiths

Guttersmiths

I know I'm late on this, but here's what I can add: Give B&B Sheet Metal, in Long Island City, Queens a call. They are a top supplier in the area for architectural copper products. They should have some go-to contractors that they send referrals to. We do this type of work at Guttersmiths. I'm from Queens originally, but my business is based out of Madison, WI.

John

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  8. Oct 17, 2017 #8

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

New York isn't as bad as it used to be, but I can see that copper being stripped and sold right off the roof.