Counter Top Modification (what tool?)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachboui

Reaction score
I have a formica counter top with a drop-in cook stove. The counter top was cut out to accommodate the original drop-in stove, leaving a couple of inches between the back edge of the stove top and the wall. (See photo)

I have purchased a regular style cook stove to replace the 33 year old drop-in. I need to cut out the 2 inches of counter top and splash-guard that prevents the newer stove from going all the way back to the wall.

What tool can I use to cut the counter top and splash-guard that will make a clean, straight cut without mangling the paneling behind splash-guard. I don't think a jigsaw will do it, as the blade sets back a bit from the front of the saw.

Ideas?

Attachments

• countertop.jpg
    countertop.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4
I'd probably use an Oscillating saw with a half round blade. That would allow you to get the closest with the most control. The lip of the cook top should cover the cut. If you don't already own one, you'll find it is a very handy tool. And any project worth doing is worth a new tool. A jig saw or circular saw base plate won't allow you to get close enough for the cut. A sawz-all doesn't have the control for finish work.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=oscillating+multitool&catalog=4294607824

There are flush cut blades for jig saws, however because of the proximity of the base cabinets, it will likely only be useful for the straight cuts of the counter, back to the backsplash, and then the multi-tool can finish the rest, with caution.

A caution would be the probability that the backsplash may have been glued to the wall.

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive multi-tool.

Pretty much what I expected. And, I just happen to have a gift card for Harbor Freight, if it's still any good. I'll cross my fingers that the backsplash isn't glued to the wall. I'll be a bit surprised, though, if it's not. Thanks, guys.

Back