Crawlspace moisture/mold/mushrooms/leak from above?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneezeblood

Reaction score
19257-cfac0a04a5e0c640799ed38c368d317d.jpg

Most of my crawlspace looks like this: dry rocky dirt. I removed all the large rocks.
19256-f3425ea0d39676a6e7d0879ec49502e4.jpg

But there is moisture around the whole perimeter--dark moist soil, but not too bad.
19255-a7bff8e7532be2b2655adc70a3fad3ad.jpg

Under the 1/2 bathroom there is this white mold, but no obvious source of moisture. It actually seems dry there; I think it could be from the past and that a good scrubbing could take care of it.
19258-79840d32a965eca1675c15b35ca2dbea.jpg

There are these dots on much of the ceiling, but I assume there's no cause for alarm there.

Also, how rock-less does the soil need to be to put down plastic? In some spots there are just to many stones, but I've removed probably 80% of them.

For one thing you have moisture coming in from the outside through the block walls.
See all that white stuff on the blocks, that's effervescent, not a good thing.
Fine to lay a vapor barrier, but the water coming in from the outside also needs to be addressed.
Most common reasons are there are many, is mulch piled up against the foundation holding in moisture, no working gutters, downspouts not far enough away from the foundation, flower beds forming ponds.
That brown stuff it may be fungus, also a very bad thing, it feeds on the material that holds the wood fibers together.
If it was mine I'd be spraying it with Bora- Care with Mold-Care.
https://www.domyown.com/boracare-with-moldcare-p-1265.html
Far cheaper to treat it now instead of having to replace the floors later.
Any exterminator company can also treat if you do not feel like doing it.
Those rocks are not going to hurt any, just make it more painful to crawl around on.
I most often see what your seeing because of a lack of proper venting.

Back