Crumbling brick wall

Help Support House Repair Talk:

inspectorD

Housebroken
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yup, regular steel angle iron will rust.
I always paint our stuff with http://www.por15.com/
I even use it on the rims of my construction dually, and with the calcium cloride we get on our roads all winter it holds up fine.:D

BridgeMan

Reaction score
Yup, regular steel angle iron will rust.
I have to ask--exactly what is "regular steel angle iron?" I know what steel angle is, and I'm familiar with the term angle iron, although I'm not sure I've ever seen any of it. Pure iron angle hasn't been rolled in this country for close to 100 years, as it is/was too soft (and barely weldable) to be practical for most construction purposes.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
World English Dictionary
regular (ˈrɛɡjʊlə)
— adj
1. normal, customary, or usual

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
What a guy could do is mount the angle iron up side down an inch away from the ground and do some fancy cutting on the brick and just replace it, if a brick that matches could be found.

mikefra24

Reaction score
Well I went with inspectorD's idea and removed bottom 2 'layers' of brick and then braced up remaining brick. Am now building boxes/collars for each side- will post pic when done.-

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Good plan, just keep in mind that the weight of the brick is being support by the mortar to the concrete, above that it is just nails or staples holding up the wire. I wouldn't count on brick ties being there.

mikefra24

Reaction score
image-1535863920.jpg

-sorry for not posting sooner, but had some dental issues come up that have kept me unpleasantly distracted!! Unfortunately did not take any pics of the bracing. This is finished product(stained with a 5$ can of 'mistint') - she is quite happy with end product...

mikefra24

Reaction score
Thanks- nealtw! I think it turned out not to bad- but a year from now, who knows!? Lol. No, I think it should be alright, as I didn't really 'anchor' the collars to the wall- to allow for any ground shifting that will occur in the future...

Latest posts