Disconnected hose?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So.... I am trying to mow today before these huge storms roll through.... water in my gas tank I believe, I put heet in it, waited for like an hour. Pushed it in neutral to a better spot, it doesn't seem to be getting a spark, which it was earlier. I found a hose disconnected which I am assuming is similar to a vacuum hose in a car, however I can't find where it's loose. The other place I can find a potential spot is above the mower deck, but I can't figure that out since I don't know what it is.

20240526_141342.jpg

So there is the black and red runner hose and idk where it goes.

The only place I can find that looks like it may go is inside this square hole
20240526_151838.jpg

And this is what I can see

20240526_151821.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
From the photos, it looks like it might be a crankcase breather. They often originate at the valve cover. If so, the engine will run fine without it, just pollute more.
But, I'm very much guessing based on the photo looking like the tube ends in the air cleaner housing. I'm by no means a small engine mechanic. I could be way wrong.

Perhaps you can download the service manual for the engine & look at the exploded view to find out where the tubing goes.

Plan B- If no one here can help, LawnMowerForum.com has many members who are small engine experts. Be sure to include the engine's make & model number, as well as those of the machine.

Best of Luck!
Paul

What brand mower is it and what engine do you have? I’m not aware that those 4strike mower engines have any vacuum accessories (like your car). It’s more likely a vent or a drain, which is why it doesn’t go anywhere.

When is the last time you started it? This year? A lot of times, these small engines need a new spark plug or the air filter is blocked.

Two things all engines need is fuel and spark. Note: the word “Engine “ does not include electric motors.

Your next step will be to download the owner's manual from the Troy Built web site and check the Troubleshooting section, usually a chart. Perhaps a solution will be found there.

If that doesn't solve the problem, find the engine model & serial numbers, any date or production codes and search on line for the service manual for that specific engine. With that manual, you will be able to figure out where the hose starts & ends. (Unless it's supposed to have one end disconnected, as Ron Van mentioned above.)

Shan, what are the symptoms? When you turn the key to the start position, does the engine turn over but just won’t start? Or does the engine not turn over at all? Does it try to start or nothing at all?

It would be helpful to figure out if the problem is related to spark or fuel. Testing spark is the easiest. There are spark testers like this.

1716901650123.png
Or you can go old school and hold the spark plug wire with a rag and run the starter. Check to see if a spark jumps from the wire to metal. If you get shocked by doing this, you’ll never want to do that again.

If you have spark, it could still be the spark plug gone bad (which is highly likely). The other thing it could be is carburetor problems. I bought a new carb for my old push mower for like $30.

I’d probably replace the spark plug first and go from there. It’s cheap, easy and likely to be the problem.

"Check to see if a spark jumps from the wire to metal. If you get shocked by doing this, you’ll never want to do that again."

Also, in the 40's, I found that, it's the distance from the plug end, that you hold the wire, often lessened the chance of getting a shock, than in the 70' I held the wire with a fuse puller like these; https://www.zoro.com/ideal-medium-f...V4zMIBR2JIQMIEAQYASABEgJsAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unrelated, but interesting, is the capacitor test. Charge them and leave them on the work bench, the screams tell you which ones are holding their charge.

I shove a #3 phillips screwdriver with plastic handle in the plug boot and hold the screwdriver with insulated pliers. Put the shank of the screwdriver close to metal on the engine while cranking. The spark should make a plainly visible jump. (Don't do this on a HEI system in a vehicle. Ouch!)

So the riding lawnmower started fine, drove fine. I put gas in it and I think it had water in it. So I treated that.
One thing I didn't think about was that I stepped on the deck on the exhausted side of it. Idk if that did something to it.

I have looked at the diagrams and it doesn't show this hose. At least not that I can tell.

I tried starting it again and this is what it sounds like.
View attachment 20240530_163648.mp4

New spark plug and all that last season while a recall issue was being fixed.

I know where the carburetor is but what is the black area called to the right of the carburetor? Thats what this mysterious line is coming out of.
20240526_141342.jpg

I'm nobody's excuse for a small engine mechanic. From the photo, if the fuel line goes to the black item that you've highlighted maybe it is a fuel pressure regulator. ("Maybe" is the important word in that sentence.) If no one here knows, try Lawnmowerforums com.

You mentioned treating water in the fuel. On the chance that you used Stabil or similar, it won't get rid of the water.

The only thing I know of to get rid of water in fuel is 100% alcohol. It's hygroscopic so it'll attach to the water molecules. The mix will then do a phase separation. I think the usual next step is to dilute it with more fuel and use it. (Not in my machines!)

Note that the alcohol will cause its own problems. I'm pretty sure the phase separated alcohol/water mix is corrosive. I know it dries rubber diaphragms and gaskets.
Perhaps it is wise to recover the suspect fuel, clean the lines, replace the filter and take the suspect fuel for recycling.

Or, spritz on the fire-pit logs, for variation of flame color, for those, cool, cool, cool of the evenings.

Have you tried chatting with them? Maybe you can upload that pic and ask them... I looked on these diagrams and I don't see it listed, which tells me it's just part of the frame, with probably no backside to it.

At the bottom of your Red circle, it looks like the metal has a ridge, indicating it's just metal frame. Feel around there and figure that out, but regardless, that has nothing to do with it not starting.

It's not the Solenoid or the Starter, so first thing is the Spark Plug, doesn't matter if you replaced it last year... Remember the golden rule though... Electronics can go bad any time anywhere 24/7/365 for any reason out of 800 Million and twice on Sunday.

https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/prior-year-models/tb30-r-riding-lawn-mower/13B726JD023.html?d=t#

I see a smiley face in there!

1717248641258.png

I can't tell from the photo exactly what everything is there but between the carb and the head is called the intake (with multiple cylinders it would be a manifold) and between the carb and the air filter is the air plenum. The fuel line should be going to the carb float bowl (can't see it behind the black thing). I don't know of any reason a lawn mower would have vacuum accessories so I'm thinking that black and red hose is a drain or vent and not part of your problem but if you want, you can temporarily put a piece of tape over it to see if it helps (but remember to take off the tape after the experiment).

These are simple little engines that need spark and fuel. Get a new plug (cheap). If that doesn't fix it, check the spark. If that doesn't work, start looking at the carb.

You can take the air filter off and spray starting fluid down there. It will run on that for a moment even without fuel or even a working carb! But that would indicate fuel problems (carb or bad gas) as opposed to spark.

My old lawn mower needed a new carb but it would run . . .but poorly with the old carb.

How did it go?
It has rained so it hasn't been looked at.

Stuff like this frustrates me to no ends. It was running fine, but could tell it was low on fuel. Added fuel.... now it won't start. So it's gotta be something really stupid.

Hopefully he can come today because my days off are almost over and my grass is 6 to 8 inches tall currently.

Still considering the mail order husband 🤔 🤣😂🤣😂

It has rained so it hasn't been looked at.

Stuff like this frustrates me to no ends. It was running fine, but could tell it was low on fuel. Added fuel.... now it won't start. So it's gotta be something really stupid.

Hopefully he can come today because my days off are almost over and my grass is 6 to 8 inches tall currently.

Still considering the mail order husband 🤔 🤣😂🤣😂
There has to be mail order Husbands because there is mail order Wives, right?

.Still considering the mail order husband 🤔 🤣😂🤣😂
I have no experience with mail order brides but I did meet Ruby on Yahoo personals. My filters were; Female, from 9 years younger to 5 years older than me, within 50 miles and Christian. A couple women didn’t work out but then Ruby popped up. We talked on the phone a few times and then met at a Starbucks for coffee. I thought an Angel walked in when she arrived!

Back