Drywall lift as temp wall support

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planner101

Reaction score
I'm removing a load bearing wall dividing the kitchen and dining room apart... it's about 9ish feet long. I actually know someone who used to be a general contractor whose going to help me with this.

But I was just wondering... and please just a simply no or yes will do.

It's a single story house in Florida, will no basement on concrete slab with no crawlspace...

I know we have to put a temp wall support up, but I saw a drywall lift and thought... hmmm, wonder if that could act as a temp wall support. And I only thought this because it's just a short wall and we are not taking the "whole" thing down. The wall in question has a doorway and I'm keeping the doorway in the wall. I guess we are just making a huge doorway about 6 feet long essentially.

Anyways, could someone use a drywall lift as a temp wall support if the job was small enough?

The lift is designed to lift maybe 200 pounds. You likely need a temp wall on both sides of the wall.

My simple answer would be "no":)

OMG ... a few 2x4s and a few nails ... Build the temp wall to be safe. :D

I went to type NO and it said I needed 10 characters to lengthen my message.
It seems there are no short answers here.

My longer answer to your question is “NO”.

Not dumb just not heavy duty enough for the job required. If you never used one or saw on how would you know if it would work or not. Nothing wrong with asking.

The bigger question you should be asking is how to go about taking out that wall safely.

No to your question. But also, get your supports (2x4's) in there before a significant part of this wall is taken down!

Remove some drywall first, you are looking for 2 or more studs nailed together to make a post. That would be a bearing point, not to be messed with.

Back