engineered flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liz8

Reaction score
We recently moved into a home with laminate floors and are replacing with hardwoods. We will only be in this home a few years and are considering
engineered (or also referred to by some as manufactured) floors.
What are the pros and cons of this type flooring? And, should it be something we may consider. I might add: only 2 adults and one little dog here most of the time and I for various reasons the resale factor will not be a consideration with this improvement. Also, I have many allergies and must choose a prefinished flooring of some type. Thanks Liz

Laminate 'wood' floors are really just a picture of wood on a substrate. Engineered wood floors have a thin layer of wood veneer on top of plywood. Both engineered and laminate or usually floating floors. Some engineered can be nailed or glued down. Real wood floors are solid wood and come pre-finished or unfinished and are usually nailed down. A nailed down floor feels nicest under foot. Floating floors feel hollow to me and I always know when I am walking on them. Laminates are really bad if they get wet because the fiber board substrate is like a sponge and will soak up water then fall apart. A prefinished hardwood floor will have a beveled groove between boards, some smaller than others. An unfinished hardwood floor is sanded after its installed and should be completely smooth. Hardwood floors can be refinished down the road, laminates and engineered cannot, generally speaking. Prefinished goes in fast and can be completed in on day, finishing in place is a muli day process. Factory finishes on hardwood are usually more durable than a finished in place finish.

My preference is prefinished hardwood or finished in place hardwood. Engineered wood would be next, especially if its the type that can be nailed (feels more solid), I like laminates the least.

Laminate is a great product usually no glue required. I found it to be very durable and most of the time scratch resistant. Yes it is a photo on a piece of substate, if installing this keep away from wet areas, cause it will swell at the joints. Engineered flooring is a better choice it is just a durable, on a recent job the customer purchased a laminate, engineered flooring that could be re-finshed one time. Engineered may cost more. Visit Costco - Your search for "flooring" produced 16 results

Lumber Liquidators: Hardwood Floors for Less!

Hope this helps. Any choice will improve the look of your new home.

Back