Evaporative coolers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on evaporative coolers?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Sorry not sure what that means?

Sent from my iPad using Home Repair

Sorry not sure what that means?

Sent from my iPad using Home Repair
Can you be more specific as to what you are looking for and what you already know or think about evap coolers? A third of the US could be using these things.

Sure. I would like feedback on experiences with them and any educated opinions on whether or not they work/don't work.

Partial answer: "Before the advent of refrigeration, evaporative cooling was used for millennia."

Anybody who sweats uses this method to maintain body temperature.

Some of the units take up to 1500w.

Not for use in humid areas.

Gotta' go.

Since you haven't shared with us where you live (trust us, no one here will come and track you down), it's not possible to say if they would work for you. Too much humidity in the atmosphere, and they won't work--just like you never cool down when outdoors on a hot, muggy day. I've lived with them for decades in NM, and they are simple and efficient at keeping indoor temperatures very comfortable and livable. And they cost and operate at a small fraction of what a conventional AC unit does.

I live in Georgia. It is very humid here. Trust me I'm not worried about anyone tracking me down.

Trust me, a swamp cooler won't work when you live in a swamp. Or even a swampy climate. Go with standard air conditioning, and pay the price.

I grew up in a house my father built in the late 50’s up in northern pa. not the driest in the summer. The house he built was a modern design for the times with several flat roofs with a 4 inch berm around them to hold water. I was pretty young to understand the construction methods but a lot of hot tar went on the roof. The evaporation of the roof water cooled the house. Can’t get more passive than that. I remember he had a valve to add water and a drain to let it out for winter.

I don’t know if it did or not. The roof was black so a solar collector and the water was both reflective and a heat sink. I don’t know if it cooled the air enough inside as to condense moisture or not.

I’m pretty sure it was something he read about maybe popular science or something like that.

He used it for a number of years and then one time after recoating the roof the berms were gone.

Back