Fence?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by ponch37300, May 6, 2008.

1. May 6, 2008 #1

ponch37300

ponch37300

ponch37300

I am going to be putting up a fence around my backyard soon. I have a couple of questions i hope someone can help with. It will be 6' tall wood fence with 4x4 posts in concrete. How far should the posts be spaced? What kind of nail gun should i use for this? What kind of nails should i use for a fence? Any help with these questions or any other advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

2. May 6, 2008 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Welcome Ponch:
    Fence posts are placed at various spaces, 6', 8', 10'. In your case with the fence being so tall, I would go with 6' and I would use galvanized screws rather than nails. Nails are subject to loosen up over the years of exposure and vibration from the wind.

I also think you should check with the local authorities for a permit to build the fence; they sometimes get rather testy about their rules.
    Glenn

3. May 6, 2008 #3

CraigFL

CraigFL

CraigFL

Sometimes your fence post spacing is dictated by the standard lengths of fence you can buy.

I like deck screws in my fences rather than nails.

4. May 6, 2008 #4

ponch37300

ponch37300

ponch37300

Thanks for your help. I have pulled a permit already and the only requirements they had were the max height and placement on the property line.

5. May 6, 2008 #5

guyod

guyod

guyod

With this being your first fence i would suggest hanging 2 string lines. one towards the ground the other around 6 foot. measure out every 6 feet and hang little pieces of string. you can use just one string line and use a level buts its not as idiot proof. just marking the ground every 6 feet isnt enough. its very easy to off an inch and half. even if your off 1/2 inch after 3 time you have an problem