Finally dried the house out, now it is too dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
We moved in our house about a year ago. Condensation was always on the windows. When we finally had a smart thermostat installed in the spring, it was always over 60% humidity. So, we set up a dehumidifier in the basement. It ran non stop till about 2 weeks ago. It was reading +85%. I had it set to 35%. With it off, I bumped it up to 40%. Smart thermostat is reading between 25%-35% since the dehumidifier stopped.

I am not noticing any breathing issues, but am noticing some static electricity. I know I will need to play with the dehumidifier to get the house humidity better.
What should our upstairs be at? The house is a bungalow with a mostly finished basement.

We run a humidifier in the winter and set it to 50%. Haven't noticed any static since we started running it. Nor have we seen any moisture on the Windows.

Hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate, so be careful on going only by hygrometer readings. (although you can calibrate them -- go to Youtube and search calibrate hygrometer)
I would use window condensation as the best measure of ideal humidity level.
The basement will commonly read a higher humidity level than upstairs. Its likely not that there is more water in the air in the basement, its that you are measuring Relative Humidity -- how much moisture is in the air compared to how much it can possibly hold. Basements are commonly colder, and colder air can hold less moisture, so the RH shows higher.

If you are in the midwest, supposed to be a real cold one tonight, a real test for condensation.

Back