Fire Place Troubles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy D Simms

Reaction score
Hello All,
New to the forum and a first time home buyer. My place has a fireplace that appears to be inoperable. Here is what I know about it so far. It is made by FMI Productions model no. V36. I believe it is vent less. Currently there is no gas hooked up to it so I pulled out the burner rack and was inspecting the condition and serviceability of the unit. It doesn't appear to ever have been used and never completely installed. There are several wires that are lying loose and has nothing supplying power to it. Of note it does have a blower hooked up and is functional. In order to power the fan you must turn on the light switch and then adjust the speed control knob to desired setting. So my questions is how do I get power to the gas control assembly and ignitor? When conducting a safety/serviceability inspection what are things I should be inspecting i.e. Teflon tape on all fittings, voltage numbers, carbon monoxide safety kill switches etc? Thanks for any help.

I'm not a fan of ventless gas heat of any kind in the house, but that's just me. I don't care for a gas stove either, but some swear by them. I have a low tolerance to exhaust fumes. I think maybe because I was nearly overcome by the same when I was a young kid. I get an instant headache at the first whiff.

I'm sure someone will be along to give you more info than me. Ours is wood, outside air intake and sealed glass doors, so no real life gas experience here.

Have to agree with Gary on this one.
Unless when you running it you open a window first thing you'll notice is moisture running down the windows and walls.
They dump a lot of moisture into a room.

Back