Fixing pull-start on Briggs & Stratton 5hp flattie

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riff_Raff

Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Suckers pop riveted the lid chingus onto the fan cover/cooling shroud, so I had to drill it off. Turns out 550 paracord is a perfect diameter. Durability testing is under way. :D

Messed up; knowing that I don't have a good supply of sheet metal screws, I didn't pick any up at the hardware store, so I wound up re pop riveting it back on. Used 3' of cord, but 4' would have been better.

Kinda poor planning, but came out OK in the end. :cool:

I've done that before, wonder why these companies don't know what a screw is.

They really don't set the exposed shiv up so you can wrap the broken cord around it to limp through. Must have to do with liability, just like the pop rivets.

The 550 Parachord was a good choice. I have a lawn mower that is rather old, (still runs fine) and the chord is getting frayed and old. I also have some 550 Parachord laying around here (made a Pace Counter for when I go hunting)....

Perhaps I'll try your idea, and make a new chord for the lawn mower out of the remaining 550 I have.......provided it's long enough. Four (4) feet, eh?

Back