flooring membrane questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfphoto

Reaction score
Hi group, have a condo with a cement floor, had the kitchen leveled and had 3 tile guys come by and take a look at my job. Two want to put a membrane on the floor and on my shower surround. The floor due to cracks, the surround to avoid moisture.

My question is: have anyone used ardex as a membrane and or redgard on the cracks instead of the membrane the cost of the membrane sheets is quite high from 1-3.50 depending on the brand the redgard is aobut 45.00 a gallon.

Your help is appreciated.

BTW on the surround we have waterproof paper on the studs followed by wonderboard, my idea was to put 3 coats of redgard, followed by the membrane sheeting which is glued on (bonding agent) then the thinset and tile. Thanks

Redgaard on the wall would be enough, The membrane on the floor should be one that will uncouple if a crack moves and you need it for waterproofing.

I agree with Neal, my in-laws has that very thing happen to them in their basement bathroom. Their were a couple existing cracks around the shower surround location, that used some cheap patching to fill, figured it would not be any harm. I did not get a chance to see what the tile guys laid, but sure enough...the tile cracked right along the same path the initial floor crack was.

Hi thanks for the replies, I am not sure what to do about the cement floor been reading a bit and it seems like the mfc of redgard says it's fine for cracks on cement floors up to 1/8" which mine are.
Not sure what to do...

The question is, Will the cracks move over time? If the answer is no, then redgaard will do. But what is is the price for a job that might have to be done again ?

Back