Frigidaire Refrigerator FGH2631PP Leaks Water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio House

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigerator that has just started leaking some water. It leaks about a cup full, and seams to only do it once a day. It appears to come from the left rear when facing the front doors. This unit is about eight years old. Any suggestions as to what to look at?

Thanks

This is a free standing installation. The left rear corner is actually wide open to the kitchen which is how I saw the leak.

Thanks, have you pulled out and checked for leaks at the water connection?

I have it pulled away from the wall, I've looked as best as I can for where it may be coming from. But I never happen to be right there when it happens. It happens once a day, and usually between 2:00pm and 7:00pm as a time reference.

Tape a folded paper towel or napkin over the connection, and check more often.

Does the leak coincide with the ice maker operating or the dispensing of water?

I really never use the ice maker or water dispenser, honestly maybe twice a year. I check as often as I can without sitting there and watching it. I happened to just leak a minute ago again, maybe 1/2 a cup and cool water. I really don't know if it's tap water or other from within the fridge. The inside of the fridge is always dry, so it's not anything coming from there. How I know when it leaks is I placed a water alarm sensor on the floor and it tells me there's water and when on my phone. So far it's been once a day.

I honestly hate the idea of having it serviced, it would probably cost me half of what I paid for it new. And these don't have as long a life as much older refrigerators had.

Sounds like you were at the place we were at about 3 months ago. The ice maker or water cooler dispenser started leaking. We bought the fridge used 10 years ago and other than this leaking it is still working like a champ. The only thing she really liked is the fridge filtered the water and took out the chlorine smell/taste. The cartridge also needed replaced. The effort and cost didn’t seem logical to repair. I turned the valve off behind the fridge and took out the ice maker and tub and it left a big space in the top. I made a shelf to fit in there and bought 6 ice cube trays on amazon and a small plastic bucket to dump them in to set on the shelf.

Then I bought an AO Smith under sink dual filter setup and an above sink faucet for filtered water and installed it. best 130 bucks ever spent. Use it for drinking water and making coffee and flavored drinks.

When the fridge finally goes we will likely get one with water and ice again, but maybe not because making cubes is not a big deal and the water filter is much nicer than built in the door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NJ4P99G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just turned off the ice maker, and will see if that has an effect. If not, next is shut the water supply off to the fridge from under the sink. If that doesn't do it, a new Whirlpool as I hated this Frigidaire since the first time it was plugged in. It is one loud refrigerator. Pops crackles, groans....

Singing it's appreciation, tired of store looky-loos.

Maybe this will help solve the leak:

There's most likely a drip pan that collects the water from the defrost cycle. In theory, the condensing fan draws air over the water and a mist is picked up and hits the condensing coil where it evaporates.

About once a year, perhaps a cup of water appears on the floor once per day. This means that I have to clean the drip pan because nasty gelatin looking stuff builds up & there isn't enough room for the water from a defrost cycle.

Also, during prolonged periods of high humidity the pan will get full & overflow before it can empty by evaporation.

Paul

I agree with Paul. Pull the refer away from the wall, take off the rear (usually light cardboard) cover and CLEAN everything you can reach with a vacuum - use a shop vac since it's likely to pick up some WATER from the drain tray. When the refer goes through its defrost cycle it dumps a good bit of water into the evap tray - after some years, a LOT of lint collects under and behind the refer. It's a maintenance item... you can call a serviceman (or woman) and PAY someone else a couple HUNDRED $$$ to do it.. or you can do it yourself for about 20 minutes of your time. I do mine every couple of years. The drip tray is sometimes removeable for cleaning.. sometimes not.
You'll also have a similar issue with most FREEZERS.
Steve

I didn't think to mention what Sadavis80 wisely mentioned about general cleaning. Good catch!

This is a really good time to clean everything.
We all routinely clean the condenser coil from the front (right?), but now you can get to the back of it and to the fan blades. I also wipe the compressor dome & refrigerant tubing off so the dust isn't there trapping heat.

Some vinly tubing taped to a small wet vac nozzle help get way in.
Bottle brushes help as well. (You can get long coffee urn site glass brushes at a restaurant supply house.) If SWMBO is not home, I also blow the whole thing out with compressed air.

The only trouble I have is keeping my dog buddy from helping. (Any treats fall under here? Let me check...)

I didn't think to mention what Sadavis80 wisely mentioned about general cleaning. Good catch!

This is a really good time to clean everything.
We all routinely clean the condenser coil from the front (right?), but now you can get to the back of it and to the fan blades. I also wipe the compressor dome & refrigerant tubing off so the dust isn't there trapping heat.

Some vinly tubing taped to a small wet vac nozzle help get way in.
Bottle brushes help as well. (You can get long coffee urn site glass brushes at a restaurant supply house.) If SWMBO is not home, I also blow the whole thing out with compressed air.

The only trouble I have is keeping my dog buddy from helping. (Any treats fall under here? Let me check...)
This was an annual practice, with me, with multiple, found pets and that GE side-by-side was still iterating where I left it, after 25yrs.

Back