Furnace flames out with the burner cover on.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drrkphillips

Reaction score
Hello, having issues with my furnace here in the Midwest. We have base board heaters but its not enough right now with the current freezing conditions. Furnace kicks on and blows cold out of the vents. Long story short found out when the burner cover for the furnace case is installed the flame doesn't fully light and flames out but, when the cover is off the furnace runs fine. All 5 burners light without a hitch. with the cover on the site glass is too small and in a bad position for me to see what's going on. About a month ago we were having issues with the middle burner flaming out and the other 4 were staying lit. Had the gas company come out and they found the outside house vent thing wasn't fully seated on the extruding pvc pipe. All they did was push it back in. It was causing excess air to mix with the gas on that certain burner due to the vent tube being with on top of that specific burner in the case. The vent system has a pipe coming out of the top of the unit and 1 connected to the clearing fan? The pipe is separated then y's into 1 going out of the house. The furnace is a LUXAIRE TG9S100C16MP11A that's about 10 years old. Note. While I was down there grabbing the model number I shut it off. A bunch of water just started pouring out of the pvc vent tube that was causing the middle burner to flame out previously. Its about -10 here at the time of this posting. Thanks for reading.

You might have to have you gas valve on the furnace adjust for more flow.
You might also have adjustable gas/air doors on the burner tubes themselves.
Obviously, for now leave the door off as temps are going subzero this week.

Hi, that appears to be a condensing furnace, how long has this been going on? 1 PVC is combustion air and one is exhaust, is the intake blocked or restricted ? Which pipe had the water in it, any water should be draining back .
ALL LIVES MATTER!
Geo 🇺🇸

At least we seem to be rapidly warming back up into Spring now...

Back