Garage Bathrooms

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machen

Reaction score
How many of you guys have bathrooms in your garages? Do you think it is a good or bad idea?

Does putting in a bathroom require a lot of work? I just want a toilet and a sink in there. No tub or shower.

I don't think I've seen many bathrooms in garages. Keep in mind your city zoning department, depending on how fascist they tend to be, might object to such an idea and claim you're trying to let someone live there.

It's a moderate amount of work. If your sewage lines are above the level of the garage, it's a lot of work. If you have a slab, it's a lot of work. Pick up a book on basic plumbing and start reading...

--Bushytails

"r" and "u" are not words, first.

Second, framing in a couple walls is a bit more than a couple pieces of plywood... frame some studs, then screw on the plywood/drywall.

--Bushytails

I believe it's quite a bit of work to run sewer lines out to the garage and to install the fixtures.

In my area they allow toilets and sinks but no shower. Like Bushytails said the amount of work depends on your situation.

I have a shop/garage under construction on my property in Idaho, and our local city codes had no problem with a full bath inside it. I am putting in a 6' x 8' bath with sink, shitter, and a corner shower.
I didn't want to have to walk back to the house, take off my shoes, and walk through the house to the bathroom, then back out, put on my shoes, walk back to the shop, just to take a leak.

I plan on installing a full bath with shower this summer. when I had my garage built I had the plumbing run in the slab at the same time. I have to have a new septic tank installed since my building is too far from my house septic system. my needs are multiple, the first is the need for the toilet if a dump is needed. my deck serves fine for urinating now. It has a privacy fence and faces out only to a cornfield and no prying eyes for miles. I also want hot water for washing hands. I currently just have a freezeproof faucet outside the back door. finally I wanted to be able to shower myself and bathe my dogs in the garage rather than in the house. since it was planned from the beginning of construction it is not a big issue the only big issue is coming up with the 5000 dollars I need for the septic tank. but this summer with any luck I will be set.

A sink and a toilet is good enough. I don't think it would cost you a lot of time. The only problem you will have is your pipelines. But if your pipeline is already fixed then I think it won't be a very big problem at all.

A bathroom in your attached garage to your home often just does not make sense to me when you consider the time it takes to kick off your boots and step inside.

If you have quite a walk to the house however, perhaps adding a small bath will be very convenient. Before you get your building permit you will need to work out the details with your local building and zoning permit officials.

In a horse barn setting where you may house others and their animals for the day a bath may be even more beneficial such as this 12x6 Bathroom in a detached 30x60 horse garage floor plan.
A small kitchenette on the backside of the bath is another idea you may determine you would like if the plumbing is already being installed in the garage for the bathroom.

View Free New Bathroom Floor Plans with Layout Designs at
http://www.homeplansforfree.com/Free-bathroom-designs/

Personally I think that keeping the bathroom in the home is often best for those with tight budgets. The site above has many designs including luxury master bath layouts which might be just a little too much for a garage - still there are half bath and small bathroom designs which would work just fine.

I can see the advantages of a full bath if your away from the house for bathing animals but couldn't see myself using it but if you got the room and the bucks what the hell, why not.:D:D:D

well my bath is nearly done now. all the plumbing and electrical is done, I just have to finish mudding and sanding the drywall. it is functional however. I have already bathed the dogs a couple times. I do not have the shower door on yet so I have not showered in it yet. I have cleaned up, washed my hair in the sink and made myself much less smelly before going inside. my wife appreciates it a lot. our dogs do not come in the house so we spend a lot of time out there with them. we watch movies I have snacks and sodas stocked and it is very convenient to have the bathroom working. I used an electric tankless water heater so I use no energy at all when I am not actually using hot water so it should be efficient as I will likely never use that much hot water out here.

well my bath is nearly done now. all the plumbing and electrical is done, I just have to finish mudding and sanding the drywall. it is functional however. I have already bathed the dogs a couple times. I do not have the shower door on yet so I have not showered in it yet. I have cleaned up, washed my hair in the sink and made myself much less smelly before going inside. my wife appreciates it a lot. our dogs do not come in the house so we spend a lot of time out there with them. we watch movies I have snacks and sodas stocked and it is very convenient to have the bathroom working. I used an electric tankless water heater so I use no energy at all when I am not actually using hot water so it should be efficient as I will likely never use that much hot water out here.

How big is this bathroom?????

well the bathroom is 10 x 10, so no we do not watch movies in the bathroom or keep snacks in the bathroom mister smartypants:facepalm::p:D

but here are some pictures from before I finished hanging the drywall. I still have to finish mudding and taping but I think I may hire the rest of that done I am sick of it.

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture001.jpg

the tp holder idea I got from a guy on GJ. it is a combination tp holder and grab bar. (my dad is partially disabled) made out of 3/4 inch pipe. powdercoated ford blue:thumbsup:

well I bailed on the mudding and taping. I talked to the guy who did my daughters bedroom and he came over yesterday got more done in two hours than I did all week. should be ready for paint when I get back from vacation. :rockin:

First you need to plan your garage ideas and there are various collections of the best design of the bathrooms which are incorporated into the floor plan. Garage bathrooms are nice convenience touch which looks best when you use gloss surfaces that gives you easy clean up.

Latest posts

Back