Garage door openers, which are best/worst

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpgilbert

Reaction score
My Stanley opener for a (16-foot wooden) garage door is 18 years old and needs replacing. Which brands are the cadillacs and which the lemons?

free, working ones are BEST.
costly , over rated ones are worst.

yea, I know, smart a$$.
but I have bought hi $$ and they were no better than
the free ones a friend gave me, (sears)

I'm sure others will speak up about good , better and best.

but to me, free is best. :D

Cruzn is correct. I remember a salesman pushing me towards one particular unit saying it was the greatest. What he failed to tell me was that I also needed to purchase 6 additional remotes for the family and all my cars and bikes, but the remotes cost nearly $50 a piece. Had I selected opener # two, the opener came with 5 remotes and additional remotes were $24 a piece. Big difference.

to me there are some other differences. I have chamberlain, genie, and liftmaster garage door openers and I have installed all three. they are all basically the same. having said that I really like the genie screw drive openers. they are easy to install, basically idiot proof. fewer moving parts I.e. no chain. and much quieter than the others I have used. but for large doors like on my shop, you need an industrial strength opener like my liftmasters. the chamberlain ones work fine, and are cheaper than the others so it depends on what you are looking for. most all of them have rolling codes nowadays and are compatible with the built in controls in most newer cars.

There is a newer side mount door opener with a built in battery back up. Has anyone heard or know much about them?

I like my Liftmaster 8557 garage door opener. It has a 3/4 HP Belt Drive and the belt is steel-reinforced.

I purchased it from Garaga.com/ in Toronto. It was the best purchase I think I've ever made because the installation was great and I also got a lifetime warranty on the motor and belt.

That is a beauty.

Back