Garage heating.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you guys use for heating your garage?

I don't go out there , until it's warm! :p

I try that to but sometimes I am forced.

One thing to remember when trying to keep the garage warm is to weather seal the garage envelope much as you would a house. You will stop heat loss by stopping air infiltration through cracks and gaps. Stopping air migration will make your energy dollar spent on heating the garage much more cost effective what ever heat source you use.

Never heard of it, how does it work?

It's just a hanging furnace. Only about 80% efficient. But you can get it in a 2 pipe system. Which is great for a garage because the burner get's its air from outside. That way it's not suckin' up all the oxy in the garage and because it's not grabbing any fumes from gas,paint,etc.

It's made by Modine, I bet most furnace makers make a similar products this is the brand sold in my area.

Thats neat, I will look into it.

I have a modine propane heater, a dayton electric heater and a 220v electric heater in the bathroom to keep the pipes from freezing.

Yeah it doesn't get nearly that cold around here. It might hit the 30's in my garage a few times in the winter but thats it.

I have electric baseboard heating in the garage. Used only when necessary and only to spot heat the stall where I am working in my 3-car garage.

I didn't think about that...

I had baseboard heaters in my old apartment....worthless things, used a ton of electricity and didn't heat the room very much...

I got a good one for you. We installed radiant tube heat in the concrete floor for a customer. It was a 40x60 pole barn. It was nice! We used 2 tankless water heaters. Filled the lines with glycol. Started the system took about a day to get up to temp. Customer is very happy, now he can move all of his equipment in. He call us 3 days later screaming that we need to get there NOW! They were installing a car lift and drilled the concrete to deep, right thru a line.:eek: Took us a day and half to repair.

Hey GoSkins when you do radiant heat in the concrete what type of pipe do you use? And is that system as simple as pipe a water heater or two and a pump to cycle it? Just curious.

We use oxygen barrier pex tubing. A water heater, circ pump, few other things and you got a warm floor. Did a couples driveway, it has a sensor outside when the temp drops and it senses moisture the system turns on.

We use oxygen barrier pex tubing. A water heater, circ pump, few other things and you got a warm floor. Did a couples driveway, it has a sensor outside when the temp drops and it senses moisture the system turns on.

Do you have any pics of this to share? I myself would love to see a set up like this.

That is cool, do you have any idea what it costs to run one of these setups?

We have one system to hook up in about a month. The pipe is already set but i'll take some pics for you.

Back