Garage heating.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is cool, do you have any idea what it costs to run one of these setups?

The tubing is cheap. Tankless are probally $1500-$2500 depending on size. Manifolds and circ pumps $1000.00

One thing to remember when trying to keep the garage warm is to weather seal the garage envelope much as you would a house. You will stop heat loss by stopping air infiltration through cracks and gaps. Stopping air migration will make your energy dollar spent on heating the garage much more cost effective what ever heat source you use.

Check out Green Hinges to keep your garage door sealed.

The Hinges have springs on them and keep the door tight to the frame. I had a gap in the upper right side of my door (sunlight would shine in) and in the winter cold air would just poor in. Rather than have a door company come in and try to correct it, I put these hinges on. They worked great, heating my garage is a lot easier. With the door sealed even the heat off our cars engines keep it comfortable in the winter.

I'm trying to wrap my head around these spring loaded hinges. The concept is easy to understand, but at the cost of ~$14 each, most garages have what, 12 hinges? When my door was originally installed, they placed a 1" rubber seal around the entire perimeter of the garage and the seal is very tight. Could these allow a better seal? I really don't know.

Mine is original with no gaps at all. Now if you had a correct install you would not need these correct?

I think the issue is gaps between each section of door not just the perimeter. these hinges seem like a good Idea to me. the doors I have worked on most of them have a good bit of play in the track it seems with the springs on the hinges it might keep the door a little tighter when closed.

Mine is like a glove everywhere? I guess if mine was leaking I would be looking for a solution.

I watched my garage door go down yesterday and found that the "down" pressure pushed the door tight against the seal, on all 4 sides, making these spring loaded hinges not a good investment for me.

I forgot to mention, I found a discount code for Green Hinges on youtube for 5% off. The code is "5online".

Thank you. We all appreciate discounts.

I watched my garage door go down yesterday and found that the "down" pressure pushed the door tight against the seal, on all 4 sides, making these spring loaded hinges not a good investment for me.

Mine does the same thing. I am trying to find out how or why one would need these.

Back