Grit treads for winter if there is ice on ramp

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindiw

Reaction score
I am considering placing grit treads or tape on my wooden ramp to prevent slipping on ice during the winter. Has anybody ever used them, do they work? I have been told they may not stick well, so that makes me hesitant to put them down.

They don't do much in snow or ice condition , they work good on steel that gets slippery when wet or on stairs and ramps that might get slippery with mold growth in shady areas.

Yes, I'm finding that out. Any suggestions as to what I should do other than hold on real tight to the handrails if there is ice on the ramp, or throw down some ice melting crystals or salt? I spoke to HomeDepot today about the paint with grit in it, and I'm not sure that's the way to go either. But I should put paint down anyway, probably gritty paint, because it is untreated wood so far. Thanks for answering.

Yes, I'm finding that out. Any suggestions as to what I should do other than hold on real tight to the handrails if there is ice on the ramp, or throw down some ice melting crystals or salt? I spoke to HomeDepot today about the paint with grit in it, and I'm not sure that's the way to go either. But I should put paint down anyway, probably gritty paint, because it is untreated wood so far. Thanks for answering.

I had neighbours with a ramp, when it snowed she was house bound in a wheel chair, he put a ladder on the ramp and just shoved the snow off above the ladder and walk up and down using the ladder as steps.

It's a thought. It looks a little precarious though. I think I'll just hunker down, hope nothing serious happens where I have to leave the trailer at that point. Thanks, though. Every thought helps. :)

I used some years (like 30) on a precast set of concrete stairs and they held up well. I installed some at a center I volunteer at a couple of years ago. I was back there a few months later and they were still securely attached to the PT wood steps. Though they hadn't been through a snowstorm yet when I went back. PT wood can be really slippery when it gets a few years old and is wet. On our mountain bike trail bridges, we'll use shingles as an anti-slip covering. They hold up really well, we just cut off the three tab part and use the upper part. Wet PT bridges with a little muck on them and mountain bike tires are a deadly combination.

Back