Hello everyone!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a condo in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. It's a three story brick building with seven units (one basement unit) and was built in 1905--converted to condos in 1999. I realize that it will need maintenance, but we (my gf and I) are really pleased with the place so far. At some point we hope to reface the cabinets in the kitchen and replace the countertops. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from this messageboard!

Cheers,
--Rob

There are plenty of folks here who like to help out. Paint covers many things for a good change until you decide what to do .
Good luck and jump in anytime.:)

I really enjoy the planning process for most activities (e.g. shopping, camping, biking, etc) so I can appreciate your advice about that. Regarding the energy audit. We live in a building with six other condo units, so I may try to convince the other owners to go in for a building wide energy audit. Everything but cooking gas is included in the condo fee, so it isn't economically rational to shell out a bunch of money so that one's neighbors can keep bleeding energy.

Having said that, I am certainly interested in conserving energy! The windows are not in great shape, but I've heard from the seller's agent that some (maybe most) in the building are against replacing the original (1905) windows. I am not necessarily for replacing the windows, but they (at least many of the windows in my unit) need some work. As soon as the weather cools this Fall, I intend to have a plan for dealing with losing heat through them.

Regarding AC, there is no central AC in this building. I have installed a window unit in the bedroom, but one of the things that I love about living in New England is that it just doesn't get too hot up here--I was born in Mobile, AL.

Thanks for the responses! This seems like a really helpful site.

Cheers,
--Rob

Hi Biggie_Robs,

'Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail' (or so my project management training told me :D )

Your first step might be to consider having a home energy audit on your new home before you undertake any major improvements. Many local utilities offer them for free. Our's cost around $325.

We learned an aweful lot about home energy conservation in general as well as specific enegy waster areas in our home that we never knew about.

If you tackle the areas where your home is wasting energy and therefore money you can recoup costs to then help to finance the more cosmetic renovations. Start with simple weather stripping and caulking to seal air leaks causing your A/C to run more in the summer and heater in the winter, and then move on to the more costly energy conservation related stuff like attic insullation, energy star appliances, etc.

The report from a home energy audit should provide you with a blue print with which to create your own home reno plan, the sequence you undertake the minor and major projects. It might even tell you of government grants / rebates you could be eligible for. Sweet.

Good luck. Let us know how you progress.

Back