Hello from Pike County PA!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkybass

Reaction score
Hey all! My name’s Chris, 31, and hail from Milford, PA.

Just bought our first home. Foreclosed 5/3 bi-level the bank did not take care of. Fairly extensive freeze damage. Bank tried to repair most of it, but you can still see evidence of situation. I joined because I’m alone for the most part up here with no family anywhere near here and very few friends that know anything about working on homes.

My current projects are to repair the freeze damage left to the heating system including installing the new boiler, removing the deck because I believe it wasn’t flashed properly as the plywood wall directly underneath where the deck is attached has rotted from exposure to moisture, install a radon mitigation system, improve drainage around the house/regrade/French drain/whatever, finish the lower level with new flooring, replace existing flooring in the upper level.... jeez I’m getting tired just writing this all down!!

You're not alone Funkybass. (Is that slap or fretless?) I've been in that same situation for both of my houses now, and I was also 31 when I bought my first house. You learn a ton owning a home and if you're "handily inclined" it's a lot of fun. Luckily just about everything you need to know is online, and this site is a great place to access it or get pointed in the right direction.

No need to feel overwhelmed, just prioritize your projects. That in itself can be a fun project.

Hey all! My name’s Chris, 31, and hail from Milford, PA.

Just bought our first home. Foreclosed 5/3 bi-level the bank did not take care of. Fairly extensive freeze damage. Bank tried to repair most of it, but you can still see evidence of situation. I joined because I’m alone for the most part up here with no family anywhere near here and very few friends that know anything about working on homes.

My current projects are to repair the freeze damage left to the heating system including installing the new boiler, removing the deck because I believe it wasn’t flashed properly as the plywood wall directly underneath where the deck is attached has rotted from exposure to moisture, install a radon mitigation system, improve drainage around the house/regrade/French drain/whatever, finish the lower level with new flooring, replace existing flooring in the upper level.... jeez I’m getting tired just writing this all down!!
welcome on board funkybass, are you a bass pro by the way? :welcome:

Hey Chris, I'm just across the river, in Sussex Cty NJ! Welcome.
Planning is the second most important part.....finding the money to do stuff is the first :p. Possibly the drainage and radon can be done together, more or less. And unless the house isn't weatherproof, that might be towards the top of the list.
On second thought, the heating system is handy...........Winter is Coming.

Thanks everyone.

I’ve been playing bass since I was a teenager. Currently involved with a worship team centrally as a bass player, backup keys and backup guitar. It’s my passion, what gets me up and fired up for the day.

Hey Chris, I'm just across the river, in Sussex Cty NJ! Welcome.
Planning is the second most important part.....finding the money to do stuff is the first :p. Possibly the drainage and radon can be done together, more or less. And unless the house isn't weatherproof, that might be towards the top of the list.
On second thought, the heating system is handy...........Winter is Coming.

Haha yeah all these projects are vying for that number one spot. They’re all important. For example, I just replaced the boiler so we’ll have heat. However, I have to replace the rotted plywood wall underneath the porch (largest portions of the wood have crumbled away) or else it will obliterate my boiler efficiency.

Can’t wait to dive into the wealth of info y’all can share!

Welcome to the forum from another PA’er. Although all the way across the state.

SNS is a lot closer when you need a hand lugging heavy things up the basement steps. :hide:

Looking forward to seeing your projects. :welcome:

Back