help- ac cutting on and off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezurcher

Reaction score
I noticed while outside the fan was running but I could here something cut on and then cut right back off. And then a minite later same thing, it cuts on and then off. And I can feel air being pushed though the vent but its not cold like it should. I made sure I turned it down(thermastat) so it should have stayed on. Anyone have any ideas or what it could be.

ezurcher said:
Thank you for your help. Is there any way I can check to see if it is a bad capacitor. I went outside and felt the line thats going into the fan outside unit, and it was only cool not cold as I would think it to be. But I guess also if it can't run for long maybe thats also why it was only cool. And if it is a bad capacitor, do you know if its a cheap or expensive part and where about you get one at. Thank you again for any information you can give me its in the mid 90's during the day and its a killer rigt now.
check the capacitor for bulging. Sometimes a capacitor will show no signs of visual failure and still be bad. It is much cheaper to buy a new cap than the meter to test it. A capacitor will run you less than $20. You will have to look in the phone book for a/c part wholesalers and call to see if they will sell it to you. Take the old one with you. You might be able to get one at an electric motor repair shop too. You could always post a picture on the thread that you started. PM ing me will get you no faster answers. Its a holiday weekend so I dont check my email very often either. I recommend posting everything in the thread not by PM.

Most HVAC parts wholesalers/retailers will not sell parts to you directly.
Take it to your local Graingers and see if they can match it up with one or order it for you.

Sounds like unit might be low on freon. Or run capacitor on compressor.If you are going to try to check capacitors even when power is cut off the may still hold charge .I suggest you call an a/c company.

Back