Help me with these corners!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesschris80

Reaction score
Ok so I put in a new floor and put trim on but I didn't know how to do the corners! I thought I could caulk them enough to pass but they look so awful a year later. Since it's a mobile home it has these weird corners. How do make this look okIMG_20211124_005301537.jpg

The flooring should go UNDERNEATH the baseboard. And it rather looks like that is what you have. If not, put shoe molding on the baseboard.

The corner detail on the trim is too gummed up for me to be able to tell what it was supposed to look like. Is there another similar outside corner in the house that you can show us what it was intended to look like ? Failing that, that corner could be made to look better with a plinth block.

Plinth Block.jpg

Welcome.
A carpenter would have cut several narrow pieces and framed the corner, and when selecting moulding shapes, sometimes there are conforming shapes of flex moldings, just for instances like this.

Same as above, do you have a picture of a corner that wasn't done? Or a before picture of this corner? I can see why you had trouble, that radius on the corner is tough to work around. If it's not structure critical, I would probably remove the caulk, then cut the radius chunk out at the height of the baseboard so you have a flat surface to affix to and run the trim all the way to the corner as normal. A really good finish carpenter might be able to cope the trim ends to butt into that radius but I know I'm not that good.

Since your trim is already cut, you'll need to splice some new pieces in to go all the way to the corner. I'd recommend pulling off the current pieces, cutting your new corner and a straight cut on the other end, then using shorter pieces on the other end to run it all the way to that inside corner.

Back