Help with light switches in a 1957 ranch...

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by elizabeth2424, Aug 14, 2009.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Aug 14, 2009 #1

elizabeth2424

elizabeth2424

elizabeth2424

knoxcourt

Hello, we just purchased a 1957 brick ranch. The light switches that are in the house are not toggle switches or push button and I can't seem to find them anywhere online. They are small knobs that you turn to the left or right to turn them on or off. I wanted to see if anyone knew what they are! Thank you.

2. Aug 14, 2009 #2

dakuda

dakuda

dakuda

Dimmer switches? Does the light vary based on how far the knob is turned?

Even if not a dimmer:
    You should be able to replace them with a basic switch, if you want. New switch + new switch plate = cheaper than chasing down something older. The wiring should remain the same in my experience.

3. Aug 19, 2009 #3

macro01

macro01

macro01

i suggest replace those switches, if the switch is not available anymore, i think it is old enough and done it's job already. maybe it is not that sturdy anymore so just buy a new toggle or button switch

4. Aug 20, 2009 #4

tmhremodel

tmhremodel

tmhremodel

A box of 10 toggles you can pick up for 5 bucks and a box of 10 paddles will run you 18-19 bucks... If you're set on retaining the "older" types, take one out and look on the back or side of the switch and that will tell you what the brand is and then you have a better idea of what you're looking for.. I honestly would replace all switches with new ones even if it's the same "type" you currently have.. switches only last so long and begin to deteriorate after 15-20 years..find out what brand you have and post it and than I can check for you as to where you might get the same type..