hobbies anyone?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna carpet and build a casting deck on the front and a couple comfy chairs. Close to a project.

I don't know, that big boat you have looks comfy. Might even be a small refrigerator aboard, for bait of course. Fishing requires liquid encouragement when the object of the mission does not cooperate.

Yeah the big boat is beautiful and comfy. The little metal boat does not look fun to most so they don't want to go which means I get to go fishing alone. Weather I have a line in the water at the time is entirely up to me. Nothing like floating on a lake sipping on an ice cold beverage with no one to bug you.

Speaking of boats, someone posted a pic of this rollator/walker
11150468_10153226955301427_973192414143311450_n.jpg

I thought that was so cute-- although I'd worry about maneuverability and accidentally ramming people or objects (but that would be half the fun).

Stingray, one of these days I need to get a picture of the suits of armor someone has up like scarecrows near their fence and then post it.

Meanwhile, I saw this on facebook
10299146_723049401099364_7348166578707295795_n.jpg

Also, my mom just got herself a 17.3" HP Slate (which is called an All-In-One computer but is basically a very large tablet with Android OS) but they don't seem to sell folio cases in that size so I'm thinking of making one for her. I found this tutorial http://highonglue.com/tutorial/tutorial-how-i-make-the-diy-kindle-leather-case/

But I need to find the supplies and figure out how to get it to be royal or cobalt blue for her. It will need to have a part at the back to allow access to the ports and the kickstand, and openings for the power button on the top, headphone jack on left side, and other ports on right side. I'm thinking of adding a handle so it can be carried with that. My main concern is protecting the screen from damage. It's this computer (although I found a coupon to get a discount).

The tutorial called for 2.5mm thickness at the thinnest, but there are no shops that sell leather in the area (at least not that I know of). However, I do have some leftover leather from an old couch that is still wrapped around couch cushions and stuff down at the workshop. Not sure what condition that stuff is in though. If I could use that and dye it blue and then add some sort of stiffener.... Not sure what though.

Any ideas?

The VW has certainly evolved in many forms. From beach buggies, airplanes, movies, tractor cabs and apparently grilles. Simplistic design and form has made it a favorite for many decades. The old sign, " you may have just been passed by 36 horse power " was a great advertising tool.
Leather is quite pricey, especially if you want a dye lot of a certain color. Two seat covers for one of my old cars is over a thousand for a quality grade.

Stingray, I'm thinking of recycling the leather from some old couch cushions. I can get some acetone to clean it up and see do a test area with some dye to see if I can get it to be royal or cobalt blue. I read a tutorial on how to dye a leather couch. I just need to figure out how to add some very thin padding and a stiffener of some sort to make the case for the tablet. The screen size is supposed to be 17.3". The depth from front to back is thicker at the bottom where it has the speakers. I'll need cutouts for the ports and such.

The VW is an awesome car. We used to have one for a few years. I can't remember when we sold it or why. I think it had belonged to my uncle. For a long time we had some station wagon with the fake wood panels on the outside. I believe it was a Buick. Someone in the family liked the fake wood look. We also had a 3.0cuft Montgomery Ward convection microwave that had the fake wood look. It lasted 22 years. I wish I knew how to fix it and upgrade it to have more wattage.

What do you think of this one, Stingray?
11401288_1256610447869314_4313708088138966964_n.jpg

You ever heard of Alumaloy? I just found out what it was last week doing research for my boat project. It's neat. Melts at 700 degrees, will bond beer cans together.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5sD9hQTyw[/ame]

I checked out a S&W large calibre handgun made of scandium , a combination of aluminum and other alloys. It weighs 23 ounces with a four inch barrel & wood grips. Stainless steel barrel liner. Heaven compared to the boat anchor I carried. Course one would not want to tack up wanted posters with this at approximately twelve hundred dollars.

I know S&W has had the lightweight and featherweight type of 5 shot hammerless revolvers, and I believe I own one of them actually. I'm wondering if these are the same type of metals?

I've got two Rugers, one a .44 and one a .357, I have to use a hoist or crane truck to lift them to my holster. Needless to say I no longer carry them when hunting.

I felt the same when I used my Colt Python 6" Nickel plated .357 hogleg on duty.

That IS some serious spoon work. I can appreciate the hours it took to create. Are there more pictures of this creation ?

There are more shots in these articles:
http://www.bikermetric.com/buy-a-motorcycle-made-of-spoons-the-gift-no-one-ever-asked-for/

http://www.colorsandjoy.com/incredible-motorcycle-made-with-spoons-by-james-rice/

Meanwhile, I've been playing with 3D graphics and trying to make an approximation of the steering wheel volvo put in the volvo amazons around 1965.

I used a somewhat crude 3D program called Milkshape. I'm not the best mesher, but I'm learning. I'm a bit rusty since I haven't meshed in awhile. I scrapped my first version because I just wasn't happy. I made a sphere, sort of squished it and cut out the middle to make the outer wheel. I made cylinders that I wrapped around to make the horn rim (I basically only did one side and used the function to mirror left to right). Then I used the plane tool to create a flat surface for the middle part of the horn. I had to do a lot of resizing, adjusting of vertices, etc. It took a couple of hours (mostly because of stopping to think of what I needed to do or trying things that didn't work and undoing and interruptions from cats), but I ended up with this:
tumblr_npy6rtxkWX1qkwd9ao1_1280.png

I haven't done the UVmapping or added textures yet.

I based it off of this as a reference:
tumblr_npy6rtxkWX1qkwd9ao2_r1_1280.jpg

and I cross-referenced with other images to get an idea for the back part, which will pretty much be hidden once it is put inside a car mesh.

Looks cool, but gotta ask...why?

Its so I can get a Volvo Amazon as my vehicle in The Sims 3. LOL. I used to create objects for Sims 1 and Sims 2, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of things for Sims 3 yet. It requires a different way of UVmapping because it has a color wheel and such to apply to the textures. Plus its fun to make things in 3D.

You have way too much time on your hands.

If I get good enough at the 3D rendering, I might eventually be able to make some $ selling the models. I have to find things that haven't been made by other people though and that people want to purchase. I've seen some 3D models go for $99 and others for hundreds of dollars. A moderate price is about $12. I could probably get about $5 or so per download if I found the right place to post it and such.

I've been working on a Mahi Mahi wood burning for the last forever. Can't seem to finish it but it's going pretty well!

Back