hobbies anyone?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the exact process I used to make my sculptures.

Awesome! If I were working outside, I'd have a hard time keeping my animals out of the way. Otherwise I would try to figure out how to do that to the fire ant nests here. Those stupid things are always getting in to everything.

They'd only get in the way once, then they would themselves become sculptures?

They'd only get in the way once, then they would themselves become sculptures?

LOL. I somehow think it wouldn't work as well on larger critters, and I don't want to find out by testing it.

Buddy of mine once took a magnifying glass, tore the top off a paper cup to get the proper focal length, and then set it up next to an ant hill. The ants saw the focal point as an enemy, and began the attack. He said the smoke was filling the air for quite some time. :rolleyes:

I did once burn ants under a magnifying glass when I was a kid. And there was that time my dad got me an ant farm when I was little and I didn't like the paths they were making so I decided to shake it like an etch-a-sketch to reset it because I didn't realize it would kill them.

I'm bored while listening to The Platters music. I like to look at photos so I was going through my albums.

It reminded me of some hobbies I need to get back into doing more of.

I need to work on my woodworking skills. Back in high school I made this pencil box out of red meranti and made the lid with red meranti. I had intended for the top to be smooth, but I used the wrong tool so it ended up with weird grooves. My teacher liked it though.
3389_10150977453890168_1297675798_n.jpg

Its sitting on a shelf system my father made. We had some mirror panes that a friend gave us and I suggested he use them behind the shelves as a display case for his shells, rocks, dinosaurs, etc.. (I have no idea wtf that pod is to the left of my pencil box).

And here's an acrylic painting I did back in art class in high school.
tumblr_ln8bzjM0S81qhfuqwo1_1280.jpg

I'll have to look through and see if I have more pics of the crap I made. LOL. I have a batik, some abstract paintings, lame pastel drawings, some pencil drawings, and some ceramic projects-- including a giant eraser, an elephant, and an Aladdin's lamp.

In the houses we have built I try to do different moldings, cabinets for each in red oak. The present has a copy of the old flat side moldings, routed on one side with a five quarter band on the outside. It took a while but the results are great. Many visitors have asked where it was purchased. I tell them it was a limited edition at the local hard wood dealer.
In my case wood is less enjoyable than metal, a mig welder & metal saw.

You have too much time on your hands.

Yes I do.... Now I have to drag out the John Deere and cut the lawn. The steel cab sure makes it a nice road trip across the property. Did some flail cutting with the new holland last night. It's just a terrible job playing with these new four wheel drive machines. Come on rain, grow that grass !

OK, those pair of dogs are just way too cool! Do you sell them?

They stand around a while and disappear to friends and relatives. It would be nice to get the cost of materials but its not a big deal. Most think when your retired things are always free. Seems material things go quicker than advice. I know the crows appreciate the shiny things I have built.

I just picked up an alumni fishing boat project. This will be my fourth. I never seem to keep them long after I finish them. This one has higher sides that I wanted so maybe it will stick around longer.

View attachment image.jpg

Whats the " project " about it ? Looks like a good cleaning and a splash in the water for leak testing. I see a lot of 12' aluminum boats for sale for the 800 - 1000 mark. They can't be much more new.

Back