Hole under patio. Should I be worried? How to fix?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I've lived in my house for 20 years and this patio was poured at least 10 years prior to us moving in. I just noticed an erosion-type hole under it. The photo with the broom shows how far I can stick the handle into the hole. Should I be worried about this? If so, what's the best way to fix this? TIA!
IMG_20200515_082925.jpgIMG_20200515_083008.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just pack some soil in it using a 2x3.

Rake the mulch out of the way and jam some crushed stone (not soil) in with a 2 X 4 under the slab.
Then back fill that area so it's even with the bottom of the slab before raking the mulch back over it.
Right not you have a funnel directing water toward that area.

First of all, you are lucky that a skunk or other critter has not found that opening and enlarged it into a den.
They will, sooner or later.

I would start at the bricks and dig out everything that is not firm soil.
Mulch or air will not support concrete, the slab will crack or start to sag.
Dig it out at least about eight inches to a foot under the slab, go to the right until the slab is resting on firm soil.
Pack in crushed stone with a board as a ram.
For the final layer, you could try mixing in some concrete mix with the stone.
Or just fill in the last of the opening with pavers, pushed in tight so they are flush with the edge of the concrete.
This will support the slab, keep water from running under, and discourage critters from looking to live under there.

Back