Hooking up to city water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onion69420

Reaction score
After years of low water pressure I am finally pulling the trigger and getting hooked up to city water. My well point is clogged and the city won't allow underground well repair because I'm within so many feet of the water main.
Sooo....I've gotten 2 estimates, one guy quoted me 1800 to use an excavator to dig the line and do the indoor plumbing. The other guy wanted 2800 to do the same thing but use a tunnel boring machine which will leave my lawn and landscaping intact.
The city wants 2000 on their end for the permit, tapping fee, meter, inspection etc, half of which is up front and the other half to be added to my water bill over a period of several years.
Question is do u think the added cost of the tunnel bore method is worth it? The guy with the digger said he will back fill everything and all I'll have to do is plant grass seed after which I wont be able to tell he was even there. Not sure I believe that?
It's about a 50 foot dig to the water main fyi

I dont know about you, but for a grand I could be very happy putting down some grass seed, straw and a little water.

I agree with oldog. Unless there is some driveway or really special garden in the way 1000 bucks is a 1000 bucks. 20 bucks for a bag of grass seed and couple hours of your time, or if you are like me do nothing and the lawn will grow back on its own.

Back