How can I warm up basement in summer?!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hey all,
So my fully finished 1300 sqft basement is freezing in summer. Any time outside temp is above 70* it's cold! In winter it's the warmest place in the house! To my understanding, that it is because the outside ground surrounding the foundation is always cooler relative to the outside air and warmer relative to the air in the winter. Question is, my basement is only 45-50% humidity and the 70pt dehumidifier is running yet it's cold so how can I warm it up while keeping the registers open (to help dehumidify basement)? I've added a second 70pt dehumidifier to see if it helps because they do give off a little warm air naturally. Any suggestions?

What kind of heating and AC do you have? I would sooner guess that the problem is that you are primarily heating and cooling the basement. If you have forced air heating and cooling, could be too many registers in basement, could be excessive leakage through the ducts, or could be one massive air leak where duct has separated, possibly behind some drywall where it is not visible.

Back