How do I locate where ants are coming from/in?

Discussion in 'Pest Control' started by Metric, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1

Metric

Metric

Metric

I seem to have a colony of rover ants living somewhere in my hall bathroom. Behind the wall, or somewhere. I'm not sure. I recently had an exterminator come out and now I have no more ant problems anywere in or around the house. But, my hall bathroom on the far east side of the house has rover ants. I find them in the tub, in the sink, on the walls, on the floor, on the ceiling. A few here and there. I know they're in my bathroom for water, but I can't tell where they're coming from. Is there any way to find out what their point of orgin is? What crack in/under which wall they're coming through?

2. Mar 25, 2010 #2

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Emperor Penguin

I watched a TV show where they were investigating the way insects communicate. They had different kinds of food out, and they found that ants seemed to like strawberry jello the most because it's sweet, very easy to eat and also probably because it's very easy to regurgitate to the other ants when they get back to their hive.

I would put out some strawberry jello for them. Once the ants discover it, they'll go back to their colony and tell the other ants where it is. You'll soon see a column of ants coming from the colony to get strawberry jello and a column of ants returning to the colony with bellyfulls of strawberry jello to regurgitate to the worker ants in the colony.

3. Mar 25, 2010 #3

Cork-Guy

Cork-Guy

Cork-Guy

Cork Flooring Pros

4. Apr 23, 2010 #4

frozenstar

frozenstar

frozenstar

Dang. I have this problem as well on my backyard. Ants keep coming back. Hope I can figure this out..

5. Apr 24, 2011 #5

Tectrix

Tectrix

Tectrix

I had a ant issue and fired my bug company. I bought some Talstar 1 and only spray outside the house about 3 to 4 feet up the side of the walls and 3 to 4 feet on the grass. I have not had any bug or ant issues in over two years. I spray 3 times a year and in Texas we have fire ants.

6. Apr 24, 2011 #6

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

Putting out Terro will also get rid of them. They eat it and take it back to the nest and end up killing the Queen.
    It comes in a paste, is non toxic to pets and kids.

7. Apr 25, 2011 #7

lh66

lh66

lh66

A friend of mines had an ant problem and wasn't able to figure out where they were coming from. He hired so called "experts" who also were no help.

8. May 20, 2011 #8

DIYHomeDesign

DIYHomeDesign

DIYHomeDesign

I don't know if this will work for you, but once I figured out where my ants were coming from I put a sort of vinegar trough around the area. They hated it and soon completely left my house. Maybe it was luck, but I had tried a ton of other ways of getting rid of them and this was the only thing that worked.

9. May 21, 2011 #9

Speedbump

Speedbump

Speedbump

Water well etc.

Wait until these little black Argentina ants get there. They will wipe out your Fire Ants. They have here in Florida. There are gazillions of them, but no more Fire Ants. And the best part is when they get on you, the worst that can happen is getting tickled.

10. Jun 20, 2011 #10

janellelk

janellelk

janellelk

We had this in our previous kitchen and we ended up finally throwing our hands up in the air and hiring an exterminator.

11. Jun 21, 2011 #11

homesteadhero

homesteadhero

homesteadhero

We spray around the house, but we also spray the roof around the vents. Ants will come in through the bathroom exhaust fans; anywhere there is an opening. We have large trees that overhang the house and the ants drop from the trees. We are forever finding them in the bathroom if we don't spray around the vent.

12. Jun 22, 2011 #12
    Here's a picture I found of them tearing up a fire ant. I may need a jar of these guys to release into my yard.

argentine_ant_fight.jpg

13. Jun 23, 2011 #13

Speedbump

Speedbump

Speedbump

Water well etc.

I'de be glad to send you a jar of them. Shouldn't be too hard. Just put some dog food in a jar, they will fill it up with themselves in no time. And they will have plenty to eat on the trip.

14. Sep 24, 2012 #14

Cotopaxi

Cotopaxi

Cotopaxi

I gota agree with joe here! Though I used the Terro PCO Liquid Ant Bait. Just mix, leave in bait stations and it will diminish their numbers rapidly.