How do I troubleshoot this fan?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the ground wires should interconnect as well as any metal parts (junction box and fan housing). You can use the J-box as the common connector; i.e. all the bare wires are fastened to it. or you can get them all into a wire nut. Include a bare wire from the J-box if you choose to do it this way.

I'm going to join those two green wires with a wire nut. Sound good?

Each of your 5 cables should have a bare copper wire along with the black and white wire. All 5 of those bare coper wires along with the two green wires from the fan and light should be joined together with one big wire nut. If your box was steel (it is not) you would add another short piece of bare copper wire into the large wire nut and attach the other end to the box with a green screw.

Connecting the two green wires together wont accomplish nothing. If the cables coming in don’t have the bare copper wire then there isn’t much you can do. In the old days that wire wasn’t required. By code you need that wire or you need the power supplied to the circuit to be GFCI protected. Many homes are still wired without a ground wire and everything works fine they are not as safe as they can be and not to code. This room is your kitchen and there are a few other branch circuits running from this box and you are not sure where they go. If they go to outlets close to the sink and such that require GFCI you should think about replacing those outlets as well if they are the regular outlets now.

Each of your 5 cables should have a bare copper wire along with the black and white wire. All 5 of those bare coper wires along with the two green wires from the fan and light should be joined together with one big wire nut. If your box was steel (it is not) you would add another short piece of bare copper wire into the large wire nut and attach the other end to the box with a green screw.

Connecting the two green wires together wont accomplish nothing. If the cables coming in don’t have the bare copper wire then there isn’t much you can do. In the old days that wire wasn’t required. By code you need that wire or you need the power supplied to the circuit to be GFCI protected. Many homes are still wired without a ground wire and everything works fine they are not as safe as they can be and not to code. This room is your kitchen and there are a few other branch circuits running from this box and you are not sure where they go. If they go to outlets close to the sink and such that require GFCI you should think about replacing those outlets as well if they are the regular outlets now.

Will do. 10-4. Thanks.

I got the wiring to the fan hooked up, but need to put it back on the ceiling. It looks like it was attached to the ceiling using some type of epoxy. Is that the case? Which kind should I get?

I got the wiring to the fan hooked up, but need to put it back on the ceiling. It looks like it was attached to the ceiling using some type of epoxy. Is that the case? Which kind should I get?

but need to put it back on the ceiling.
I would hope that the fan is attached to the hanging bracket by ball which in turn is attached to the ceiling box securely with screws. What you are referring to is how do you attach the canopy (the part that usually covers the ball and ceiling box). Normally all fans I have installed come with screws that go through the canopy and then into the fan ceiling bracket. I have never seen a canopy epoxied to the ceiling. It seems the previous person lost the screws and used maybe silicone to secure the canopy to the ceiling. The canopy actually serves no purpose of attachment of the fan to the ceiling. All it does is hide the ceiling box, conductors, and fan bracket from view to make it a neater installation.

I am going according to what I can see in the picture. If the fan is not attached to the ceiling bracket by the ball then you can not just epoxy the fan to the ceiling.

Yes, the fan is held in place by a ball to the bracket.

There are no screws on the top piece, but there are on the bottom piece. The top piece has to be held in place by silicone.

Back