How far down from the shingles should the gutter be?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMR

Reaction score
Typical brick house in the Southeastern US. Doing a little TLC on the exterior, painting, switching up the gutter (was leaking from all seams and needed to be replaced) and need some advice about installing.

In the photo, only the far left side of it can get a downspout. The far right side is the front porch and I don't want to be discharging water down at the bottom of the concrete porch steps. Obviously, the gutter needs to be angled for water to flow down to that side. How do I determine how much it should angle? Should I snap a chalk line or something?

Secondly, my biggest question is...how far down from the edge of the roof shingles do I put the aluminum gutter? Shingles hang over the edge I would estimate 1.5 to 2 inches max. I'm using these hidden hangers to attach the gutter:

513226.jpg

House.jpg

How many inches should it be below those shingles? Pretty sure that it is a 5" gutter.

Rule of thumb is 1/2" of fall over 10'. To determine the gutter width, measure the open span at the top. 6" gutters work much better than 5". If you don't have a level, place a marble on the high side and make sure it rolls all the way to the outlet. Simply measuring from the edge of the fascia may not be on level.

Rsther than the correct fall, I think the OP is asking how far down from the shingles should he start the beginning of the run.

Yes, looking for how close the initial run should be to the shingles.

Start the run on the high point close to the shingles but not having the gutter or brackets touching the edge of the shingle.

Rule of thumb is 1/2" of fall over 10'. To determine the gutter width, measure the open span at the top. 6" gutters work much better than 5". If you don't have a level, place a marble on the high side and make sure it rolls all the way to the outlet. Simply measuring from the edge of the fascia may not be on level.
I would follow your advice but Holly recently told me I lost my marbles. :(

Back