How many folks use the energy saving bulbs?

Discussion in 'Green Energy and Sustenance Living' started by inspectorD, Aug 12, 2006.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. May 29, 2019 #141

Brian Famous

Brian Famous

Brian Famous

We use dimmable LEDs in almost every fixture. Most expensive, and we'll probably never realize a cost savings, but then again, we're not tracking the costs either.

2. May 31, 2019 #142

Yod12

Yod12

Yod12

Interesting that when I saw some more comments about this, I read another article by the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ANSES) which goes into great detail about the detrimental effects of LEDs. And apparently, "compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) are far worse".
    Also, "Children are at high risk for damage from LEDs due to the transparency of the lenses in their eyes".

Diehard likes this.
  3. May 31, 2019 #143

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

If you must have LED lights, look for ones with high CRI numbers. In the 90's is best to reduce the potential damage to the eyes.

4. Jul 1, 2019 #144

thebuilder20

thebuilder20

thebuilder20

This is also the case for us.

zannej likes this.
  5. Nov 30, 2019 at 12:01 AM #145

billshack

billshack

billshack

I use them all over the place , for example a regular lite bulb use 60 watts per hour
    and a energy saving one use 8 watts .

6. Nov 30, 2019 at 2:27 AM #146

zannej

zannej

zannej

I like the LEDs because they are brighter, get whiter colored light, and don't get as hot as traditional bulbs. We are still replacing regular bulbs with LEDs slowly.

7. Nov 30, 2019 at 4:06 AM #147

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Funny how when this thread was started in 2006, LED screw-in bulbs were exotic newcomers. Now we have LED light panels that are virtually flush with the ceiling and easy to install. No more bulbs are needed. let's see just how long these all-in-one fixtures last....maybe (hopefully) longer than this thread :rolleyes:

zannej likes this.
  8. Dec 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM #148

zannej

zannej

zannej

I just got LED headlights for my truck the other day. They are so much better than the old yellowish bulbs.
    It is interesting how they have advanced over the years. I remember working with LEDs in electronics class in the early 1990s & they were vastly different then.

9. Dec 3, 2019 at 3:03 PM #149

MrMiz

MrMiz

MrMiz

I have a lot of LED bulbs all over the place. My house, my rentals, my shop etc. and I can tell you this. The failure rate definitely feels the exact same. I've had LED's go out in the first week of having them, and the ones I have right now that are "done" are about 2 years old. I've tried multiple brands and multiple kinds. I'm starting to shy away from the ones with built in LED's in favor of the ones with replaceable blub types. Not only is it frustrating to have to replace a whole fixture with built in LED's, but you can't always get a matching fixture. The one I have now ( I call them "boob" lights because my uncultured mind can't see anything else sorry if it's offensive) I bought originally from Lowes, and for what ever reason Lowes switch brands over the last 2 years so now I can't get a match. The only thing that's close is about twice the size and looks silly in the hallway, so I'll probably just get one the same size and let my relatives notice it when they come over.
    So I guess all that's to say that the marketing hype on LED's has left me a little bitter in actual practice. I feel like everybody says "Oh they last forever and they are such a huge advancement in technology" but they cost more, fail the same, and probably save you a little here and there on power bills. So I guess that's a win? I just wish everybody would stop treating them like they are the answer to the worlds problems. I've put just as many LED lights with their ballasts in the trash as light bulbs.

10. Dec 3, 2019 at 4:26 PM #150

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree to some extent. I stayed away from them at first as they were way to expensive, but as the price came down I’m now buying something that looks and feels like an incandescent bulb and screws in the same fixture and the last ones I bought were the 60-100 equivalent LEDs and they were a buck each. I don’t know how they can make them and ship them from China here for that but they are.

In general I like they hardly make any heat and only use about 1/10 the power and IMO most of mine have been lasting longer than the old bulbs.

So all things considered other than making them in the states like incandescent bulbs were, I think they are a good thing.

zannej likes this.
  11. Dec 4, 2019 at 11:03 PM #151

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

putting an LED bulb inside a glass globe, like a boob light or a tiffany style, shortens the life of the bulb. They generate some heat and the ballast isn't tough enough for the heat build-up in an enclosed fixture. Besides, if you read the fine print, you can only use it a few hours a day in order for it to live up to it's claimed life. Still, I have LEDs that are years old and still working.

12. Dec 5, 2019 at 5:11 AM #152

Yod12

Yod12

Yod12

What a tragedy! As noted above, LEDs are extremely detrimental to health and well being.