How to buy a “Fixer Up” House to be a Home.

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by bud16415, Feb 6, 2014.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 10, 2018 #101

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

@zannej It was a silver maple and they grow these double and triple trunks that start to rot in the center. I never liked the tree and the neighbor whose tree it was loved it and she remembered climbing it as a kid. They did take off a bunch of big limbs on our side and even had the tree cabled to try and save it. The shade was nice and I hated the leaves in the fall.

The insurance guy came the next day and all that was left of the tree was some sawdust on the grass. He said he never saw a homeowner remove one that fast. And just asked our hours and paid 20 bucks per hour and added in what one dump truck load to haul away would cost. So was very fair on the cleanup I thought. He went thru and figured out the cost of removal and a new pergola and some replacement of siding and roofing and to rebuild the full rail on the side of the deck.

I used a couple come a longs and an auto floor jack and jacked and pulled it back in place. I replaced the bad broken wood and re-blocked and lagged and bolted everything square and plumb. We had two days in the 90s was perfect for fixing it up.

Scrubbed the siding and its good enough so is the bent tin on the roof its hardly noticeable.

If it stops raining in the next few day I will take a pic of the after repairs. I only have a couple hundred bucks in the repairs but quite a bit of free labor on our part.

Just glad it missed the main house and the roof protected the tub and no one was hurt.

As a side note the neighbor whose tree hit me just got a new roll out awning because his was 9’ and he wanted 12’. We got to talking about the loss of shade and he said I bet my old awning would fit the end of the deck. My poles are exactly 9’ so I guess I have a sunsetter to install.

zannej, nealtw and oldognewtrick like this.
  2. Sep 11, 2018 #102

zannej

zannej

zannej

Bud, I'm so happy to hear it all worked out for you. I can understand the neighbor wanting to keep the tree for nostalgia. I have a tree in my yard that I didn't want cut down bc I used to climb it when I was a kid. My father respected my wishes and one day the roll bar on his tractor bumped a branch on it-- branch came down on him, knocked him from his tractor, and fractured some of his vertebrae. If I'd been able to predict that, I would have annihilated that tree before it could happen.
    Trees hollowing out on the inside is what happened with our 300-yr-old water oak.
    Excellent that you got a new awning out of it. It sounds like you've got a good neighbor. I'm also impressed that you and your neighbor were able to clear the debris yourselves.

3. Sep 11, 2018 #103

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Thanks @zannej

I can’t brag enough how good that HF pole saw works. With a regular chainsaw doing limbing you have to get right in there close and climb over all the rubble. Lots of chance for a bent limb to get you or as the weight changes something dropping on you. With this thing you have the reach advantage and I would start at the end of a limb and lob it off 3’ at a time. the bar is about 6” long and it zips right thru 6” limbs. I cut some 10” with it going from both sides. Just don’t get the bar pinched.

The neighbors are a great family and we help each other out a lot. He has a small Kabota tractor with a bucket and a trailer. There is a woods close where we dump leaves , branches ect. Then the neighbor down the road heats so he pitched in to get the big stuff. He offered to do the limbing also but I didn’t want someone that wasn’t a property owner getting hurt once it was all on the ground I felt safe with him working.

You are right trees sometimes become our friends and people planting them never think about how big they will someday get.

zannej likes this.
  4. Sep 12, 2018 #104

zannej

zannej

zannej

Ah, it's a pole saw then, Bud? I think I have one in a box somewhere, but my arms are rather weak so I have trouble holding it up. My lower body strength is better than my upper body strength.
    Sounds like you've got a good neighborhood with people willing to pitch in. Smart move on making sure non-property owners wouldn't get hurt.

On the tree planting, I still remember a now late friend complaining about the tree his wife planted that had roots disrupting stuff underground. She thought it was a flower bush at the time she planted it and didn't realize it was a tree. Fifty years later it was causing problems and he was ragging her about it. I was like "It was 50 years ago! Lay off!" I do think he was half-kidding though.

5. Sep 12, 2018 #105

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

zannej likes this.
  6. Sep 12, 2018 #106

Elizabeth Lynn

Elizabeth Lynn

Elizabeth Lynn

Wow. You're so lucky everyone is okay. Sorry your roof got damaged!

bud16415 likes this.
  7. Sep 13, 2018 at 4:16 AM #107

zannej

zannej

zannej

Thanks! That is very similar to the kind I have. I tried using it but I had a hard time holding it upright and getting it to go where I want it to go. I'm horribly out-of-shape. LOL. It's something I need to work on.

8. Sep 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM #108

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Well DIY costs on the deck repair and cleanup was about 100 bucks. The majority of the vinyl siding damage scrubbed off and the couple little dents in it are on the side no one ever looks at so they are good enough. The steel roof and gable trim is a little wrinkled on the one edge but nothing that has to be replaced as it is still doing its job.

So I’m calling the project done except I was planning on replacing the gutter facing the deck all summer and the tree finished it off so I guess I will try and do that before winter. Deck is all fairly plumb and level again. So I can go back to sitting on it and enjoying retirement.
    IMG-8352.JPG

zannej likes this.
  9. Sep 15, 2018 at 9:52 PM #109

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Got the free used sunsetter awning installed. It's great sitting in the shade now that the shade tree is gone. Best part is no leaves in the hot tub this fall. IMG-8359.JPG

zannej, oldognewtrick and nealtw like this.
  10. Sep 18, 2018 at 4:01 PM #110

zannej

zannej

zannej

Looks great, Bud! Hope you get some time to relax and enjoy the hot tub now.

bud16415 likes this.