How to buy a “Fixer Up” House to be a Home.

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by bud16415, Feb 6, 2014.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Jun 16, 2019 #121

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Be sure and round those corners off.

2. Jun 16, 2019 #122

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is a great idea only I didn't trim it until I had it all down. Can't get under it now. I think I will put a strip where the extender to the house is screwed down. All I have to do there is pull 2 screws.

Next time in 30 years when I redo it I will try and remember to do that. LOL

3. Jun 16, 2019 #123

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Great input :thumb:. If i get some wear thru spots I guess I will glue some patches on when the time comes or there is always gorilla tape if I get to old.

I'm all ready for the next roofing job. The neighbor saw it laid out in the yard and he wants to do his 10x10 shed.

4. Jun 28, 2019 #124

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

IMG-8950.JPG IMG-8951.JPG I got tired of walking thru the house with the water can for all the hanging baskets and plants on the new Riverside front porch. It’s been 6 years and the old faucet out front never got hooked to the PEX manifold.

I bought a new frost proof 12” long faucet and pulled the 1930s heavy-duty brass job out ran the PEX and had it installed in 15 minutes.

Because I wanted water on the porch for summer I mounted a second ball faucet thru the post with a short loop of hose to the other.

If all goes well I will only have to crawl into the bushes spring and fall to attach/detach the hose. Now if I forget and we get a freeze it wont be pretty.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  5. Jun 28, 2019 #125

nma

nma

nma

Wow - that took a dark turn...

nealtw likes this.
  6. Jun 28, 2019 #126

nma

nma

nma

Meh - certainly be cautious of a wet basement, but the issue is to understand why it's wet. Sometimes that can be fixed super easily by mending gutters or drains.

bud16415 likes this.
  7. Dec 18, 2019 #127

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

When I first started on the house I noticed the house was built in two sections, the kitchen an addition but still a good 100 years ago. So the basement has a fieldstone-dividing wall running across it. With it being 2 story and a walk up attic above the main house the roof lines were split up above the hand hewn beam that rests on the field stone wall. The wall on the first floor between the kitchen and the living room didn’t feel sound and in the basement there were a few owner installed Lally columns that made me think they were worried about that wall at some point. Because the beam was so wide and in good shape I stripped that wall down to the studs and had room for an additional load bearing wall in front of the old wall that was still doing its job as well. When building the wall I was going to make a new archway into the pantry behind it where the TV is in the photos. She didn’t mind walking around the corner to get in the pantry and thought that location would be a good place for the kitchen entertainment center. Once I had the wall framed out I was looking at all the space in the wall cavity a double stud wall leaves and I thought of maybe using that space for kitchen storage as well. That was 5 years ago and I got the TV mounted and never did anything but leave the wall open. This Thanksgiving I got the ultimatum work on the wall or no turkey day dinner for the family.

So I started finishing it out and making shelves. All the openings will have doors eventually. First of the year project. The wall will look like an all white wall with the TV built in.

Each shelf I add she started setting things on it, starting with the hard stuff. I think she wanted to get the spacing right for what she wants to keep in there. Doors will be close to 8’ tall.

Here are a few pics more after the new year.
    Kit Wall1.JPG Kit Wall2.jpg Kit Wall3.jpg

zannej likes this.
  8. Dec 19, 2019 #128

zannej

zannej

zannej

It looks good, Bud! I like the built-in shelving. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

bud16415 likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted