How to fix a fracture on a corner wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GamersandHomes

Reaction score
Hello, there is a crack/chip or whatever you want to call it, on the edge of a wall in my bar area. Not exactly sure the best way to describe it. a peice broke off while moving furniture. How do I fix it or who do I employ to fix it. How can I better describe my issue? All advice is greatly appreciated !20220110_122848.jpg20220110_122845.jpg

Looks like you have damaged the outside metal corner.
To fix this right and make it look all the same just uses some simple tools, it's just going to be a royal pain, many step job but any home DIY can do it.
You will need a hammer, hack saw, new corner bead, 6" wide drywall knife, a Qt. of all Purpose drywall compound, primer and paint, paint brush, tin snips drywall or or roofing nails, medium sanding sponge.
I would tap the area with a hammer holding it flat to the the metal corner 6" above and below the damaged area to break up the drywall compound, then you want to use a hack saw to make a shallow cut to make minimum damage to the wall.
Remove the metal corner piece.
Cut and apply new outside corner.
Clean up the area making sure not you leave any loose drywall compound or paper,
Apply drywall compound in thin layers.
Apply one coat and let it dry over night, it's likely going to take three coats to blend it all in.
If it's done right you only need to sand the last coat.
After sanding use a damp cloth to remove all the sanding dust.
Prime then paint.
DO NOT TRY AND USED THE PRIMER AND ONE PAINT!

Joe’s method sounds good. I might try and straighten the corner bead rather than cut it out and remove it.

A small block of wood and a hammer, I would try and pound it back straighter than it is. Then chip away anything loose and repair with compound, sand and paint.

Just an idea if it doesn’t work you can cut it out.

I've been fairly successful with this type of repair, by pressing with one hand just above the damage and using a hammer to correct the bulge, however, there can be additional damage, depending upon how the corner bead was installed, IE nails, screws, or clamp.

I am assuming you have little or no experience with drywall repairs. All suggestions above are good but, before trying any of them, spend time watching Youtube videos until you feel that you understand what you are doing.

I still remember when I bought my first house going to work and asking an older guy that had done a lot of remodeling how hard is it to do drywall and drywall mudding. He said can you make a PB&J “samish”? I said yes and he said that’s all you need to know.

Back then the only tape was paper and the premix mud was in 5 gallon tubs and it took Hercules to get the lid off. Now you can get a little tub for a little job and there is a variety of weights of mud.

I will say my first few attempts involved a lot of sanding and a lot of repeat coating but I figured it out. There wasn’t no internet so he was my best source of info, and the next day he brought me a 6” drywall knife and said you will need this.

Sometime just jumping in is the best teacher.

I agree with Sparky, get a piece of corner from the big box store and install in on the whole edge, ceiling to floor. In my opinion, it will make the repair a lot easier than trying to blend in a small section.

Latest posts

Back