How to fix back patio drop shade broken cable

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de103065

Reaction score
I have a drop shade in my back patio. There are two cables on each side of the shade that are attached all the way down to the patio concrete floor that hold the shade in place and keeps the shade steady during windy days and also helps it be the guide for raising and lowering the shade. The other day the cable at the bottom where it attaches to the brace on the floor has broken off due to the elements rusting the cable and it detached from the brace. I've attached two images to show the rusted and broken cable and the brace. I'd like to know what would be the easiest way to fix this? What items would I need to fix it. The cable itself is a specific length so there is no additional slack in the line so whatever I do I need to make sure it doesn't add more length than necessary and hopefully prevents future rust from causing the cable to break.

I wasn't sure which group to post this in so I selected the general home improvement group. My apologies if this wasn't the correct place to post this question.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.IMG_3221.JPGIMG_3222.JPG

You need 1/8" or 3/32" wire rope & two cable clamps.
It's very difficult to cut it to length, you might need a cutting disk.
Wear goggles, it's very springy.

Thanks for the reply...do you mean replace the entire wire cable from the top all the way to the floor? Or, are you saying get a wire rope cut to fix just the bottom of the cable that connects to the brace at the bottom?

I believe that that is "G's" suggestion, however I would suggest stainless aircraft cable.

I would do it using just one/two clamps. I would measure the old cable loop end (broken) up the cable some distance say 10” and mark on a piece of tape a reference line. Doing this before you cut the cable with a 4” angle grinder will give you a point of reference for placing the new loop. Cut the cable off past the crimped on clamp and assuming you don’t have a crimping tool get a screw down clamp. Get a short piece of cable and form into a U shape putting both ends into the clamp and also the cut end from the other direction. Clamp it down maintaining the 10” from the mark you made.

If you want to make sure it won’t come free uses 2 clamps and a longer U loop you are splicing on.

Back