How to fix sinking ceiling fixture?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we have a couple sinking ceiling fixture lights (please see attached picture), I think probably from the weight of new blow-in insulation we added to the attic. I crawled into the attic to try to pull them back up, wedge them into place, etc., but no luck -- they just seem a little loose to twist into a tighter position. Is there any sort of adhesive or glue I should use to seal them in place? Or, should I do something else? Appreciate any advice, thanks!

upload_2019-6-2_12-22-47.png

Also apologies if I posted this in the wrong section, I looked for lighting and thought this might be the best place for my question!

There is some sort of retainer that keeps them secure to the ceiling. Can you provide a picture of the light from above?

There is some sort of retainer that keeps them secure to the ceiling. Can you provide a picture of the light from above?
No, unfortunately. It really was a big pain to even get into that area in the attic! This is only happening with two of our fixtures, we have about 20 total.

If the fixtures are not IC rated there should be no insulation around them.

As mentioned, the fixtures should have a retaining clip that when pushed in is either a spring or friction for retention.

Back