how to remove the sump pump lid

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fengyuwuzu

Reaction score
I am thinking maybe I can change the sump pump by myself, but the problem is how I can move the lid away. It seems locked by the two pipes. In the picture below, pipe 1 is the drain pipe connected to the pump, and pipe 2 is hanging right below the lid (not sure what it does; maybe for radon gas?)

One way to do it, is to unscrew pipe 1 from the pump first, and then rotate the lid around the pipe 2 to move it aside, which will give me space to get out the old pump and put in the new pump. I wonder if there are better ideas?

Thank you!

Screenshot 2023-03-12 144537.jpg

The twist off fitting looks like a check valve on the discharge line. This keeps the water from running back to the sump when the pump shuts off. Does the other pipe have a long tail on it? You might just want to cut that pipe and install one of these. It could just be a vent and not actually go very far into the sump.

Union Fitting

The twist off fitting looks like a check valve on the discharge line. This keeps the water from running back to the sump when the pump shuts off. Does the other pipe have a long tail on it? You might just want to cut that pipe and install one of these. It could just be a vent and not actually go very far into the sump.

Union Fitting
The other pipe has a short part under the lid (maybe 2-3 inches).
I see some youtube videos and the lids are easy to remove. this one by design is sealed better but harder to move it away

Back