How to repair lower part of walls before putting in baseboards

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I just finished pulling off old baseboards. They were glued to the wall. It made a bit of a mess of the drywall pulling them off. I've attached a picture. Any tips on prepping the area before putting new baseboards on? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200909_203212.jpg
    20200909_203212.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 17
Interesting.

The wall appears to be plaster, so is the wall finish even with the wall sil, or is the sil recessed?

Your going to have to cut out all that loose material.
If you do this again make sure to cut the paint and caulking line first, Tap a stiff, wide bladed putty knife behind it to act as a fulcrum point for a flat bar.
I find it easier to then use a saw all with a metal cutting blade to cut off the nails and deal with the nails after the boards out.

How tall are the new baseboards? If they are taller than the damaged area I wouldn't do too much. You might want to paint the wall before putting them up.

I'm probably going to buy taller baseboards for that very reason, actually. I'll also gain about 6mm with the new flooring up putting down. Which loose material do I need to remove? The paper that's coming loose?

I'm probably going to buy taller baseboards for that very reason, actually. I'll also gain about 6mm with the new flooring up putting down. Which loose material do I need to remove? The paper that's coming loose?
Anything that is sticking out past flush on the wall and repair any of the surface that is above the board.

Back