How to run a portable generator in hurricane rain/wind?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My RV has four deep cycle batteries and an inverter. It can run lights, tv, fridge and the microwave. Length of time depends on how long you run them. Microwave sucks the juice. I have one solar panel on the roof that is 2'x 4' and it does a good job at charging but still doesn't keep up.

My RV has four deep cycle batteries and an inverter. It can run lights, tv, fridge and the microwave. Length of time depends on how long you run them. Microwave sucks the juice. I have one solar panel on the roof that is 2'x 4' and it does a good job at charging but still doesn't keep up.

It's probably just the fridge that's gonna get me. I can help myself by storing canned food, keeping coolers with ice, cooking enough food for two days ahead at time, etc.

Of course, it was 10 years since the last hurricane hit this area, so this probably won't come into play very often.

But good to be prepared.

Here's a genius idea: Get TWO battery generators. If it's only going to happen every decade, I might as well be prepared.

If it's only going to happen every decade
Just because the last one was ten years ago doesn't mean the next one will happen in ten years...it could be next week hypothetically, or next month. FL has a long history with hurricanes, check it out.

A camp stove will do your cooking and you can toss it in a cupboard or closet.

I don't see it any different than running your stove. How often do you really turn on your vent fan for that either? Just set it on your stove. But really if you have a gas stove it should work without power anyway. You may have to use a match to light it if it doesn't have a pilot light.

But can you run that inside?

When I had a large boat which had a galley (kitchen) I had a little two burner stove. I used it all the time at port (while docked). I believe it ran on a special fuel like denatured alcohol. You can try checking that out. I never had a problem with fumes etc being in the boat but of course like any other cooking fuel you have to be careful. You will end up paying more for it because anything "marine" related is just more money.

When I had a large boat which had a galley (kitchen) I had a little two burner stove. I used it all the time at port (while docked). I believe it ran on a special fuel like denatured alcohol. You can try checking that out. I never had a problem with fumes etc being in the boat but of course like any other cooking fuel you have to be careful. You will end up paying more for it because anything "marine" related is just more money.

If I'm only going to be using during the rare hurricane, I don't mind buying expensive fuel.

I've heard conflicting reports over whether propane is safe indoors. Obviously, there are millions of gas stoves all over the world, but the propane stoves have warnings on them about indoor use.

It is important to delineate between the time a storm is actively raining/winding and the time after when it's calm that the power is down. If the storm has past, it's no issue for me to use the stove outside.

Two of my homes are run on propane. Propane stoves, propane heater and wall heater.

I just came from Sam's Club after purchasing their 1000W inverter/generator. It is super light, super cheap to run, and super quiet. It was $279 plus tax.

If I'm only going to be using during the rare hurricane, I don't mind buying expensive fuel....

I do not mean the fuel is expensive. I mean the stove is expensive because it is "marine" related.

Again, anything that has to do with a boat is expensive.

Definition of a power boat - "A hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money"; today it is fiberglass and not wood.

Definition of a sail boat - "Is like standing in a shower tearing up hundred dollar bills".

Sorry, ran off on a tangent; just had to throw that in. :rofl:

A portable gasoline generator is the cheapest way to have a large back-up power source, but it comes chock-full of issues. These must never be run in a building with humans or animals in it- not even in an attached garage with the big door wide open. Matthew may have run it's course but we will see more deaths yet from improper generator use. Problems with these are fuel: today's gas does not store well and after sitting 2-3 months it may not start or run a small engine. Ethanol-free gas is best but anything will work if it's fresh. You can't just put it away and forget about it when you're done or it will not start when you need it. The easiest way out is to let it run out of fuel, add half a gallon of fresh gas with a fuel stabilizer mixed in it, start it and let it run a couple minutes, then turn it off. Do NOT run the carburetor dry- leave the gas in there and turn the fuel tap off after the engine is stopped. Every couple months or so drag it out start it, letting it run at least ten minutes with a good-sized electrical load plugged in, and add another half-gallon of fresh stabilized fuel. When the tank becomes full, drain it and start over. You need that electrical load when 'exercising' your generator as that renews the tiny bit of magnetism inside which lets the machine start making power (short version on a complex topic).

Old wisdom was to run the carb dry but with today's crappy gas doing that is guaranteed to gum up the carburetor during storage. By running it ten minutes you refresh the gas in the carb and as long as it stays wet in there gum cannot form. The engine heat will evaporate any condensation which has formed in the oil. The oil being splashed around will prevent rust on the engine internals. You can store with a dry carb if you take it of and clean it with carb cleaner, blow air through all passages, then spray WD40 on and through everything before reattaching it. You will need to renew that process annually if it's stored in an uncontrolled environment (no HVAC) and half as often if stored (with a totally empty gas tank!) inside.

I'm a Ham radio operator with over a decade's involvement with emergency and event communications, and this is how 95%+ of us store our generators which must always be ready to start and run immediately at all times. It is a system that works without fail but you cannot overlook that 2 month workout or annual carb cleaning schedule, nor can you use anything but fresh gas. The old stuff is OK to run in your car if you mix a gallon or two of it with a fill-up. Car engines have larger fuel passages less prone to clogging and the computer will compensate for any weakness in the fuel. If you put it in your lawnmower (or other small engine) it will clog that machine up so don't go there. I have also spent a few years as a professional car and motorcycle mechanic including doing some performance work so I know whereof I'm speaking.

Propane (LP gas) is a cleaner fuel and with it you only have to worry about internal rust and condensation in the oil. It stores forever as-is, but it's also harder to obtain in emergencies since everyone gets it all to cook with early in the game, and far fewer places sell it. But if you can store enough of it safely (outside of your house only again) it by far the better way to go. The downsides are bulk of an external tank, lack of an easy way to measure quantity, and it's habit of flowing low across slabs to an ignition source if it leaks.

For a permanent installation of an at-home generator it's best to seek local advice. The usual fuels are diesel and either natural or LP gas based on the local supply and weather situation.

This is just a very condensed 'primer' on generators; barely enough to get by on. There's a lot more to know about small engines and generators (they're actually alternators since they make AC and not DC) which you should know to get the best from them. And most important is safety which you can easily find for yourself. DO that before buying or operating a generator or it may be the last purchase of your life!

Phil

I'm not sure I want a gas generator at all because that would mean I have to go out in the storm to start it.

And then you will realize it's been six months since you last started it and it won't start until you clean the carb.

I would still recommend buying one just to have. But it and put oil in it but not gas. If a storm is coming you can buy some gas and keep it in the gas can. Then if it comes down to it you can go out in a storm and fuel it and start it. You say you don't want one until your batteries have died and it is your last resort for efficient power.

I'm actually going to leave my new generator boxed up until I really need it. No chance of gumming up the carb. I do have to confirm there is oil in the shipping container before hand.

The last 3 I bought all had oil inside the case. I'll check tomorrow.

I'm sure you can ride out the few hours of a storm without power - that's what flashlights are for. After the storms has passed, then you can light up the gen and live happily ever after.

Yes, flashlights, indoor battery lamps, coolers, propane grills.

But what if the town is out of gas so I can only run my generator for a limited time? How long does one tankful last? I would probably only run my fridge and electronics on it.

I still have no way of keeping my electronics charged during the storm, unless I buy a separate battery generator just for that. It sucks to be without a cell phone and computer and these smart phones run out quick.

Back