How to run a portable generator in hurricane rain/wind?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My battery jump box has a USB port that could charge a cell phone for 100 charges. If you are concerned about long term survival without power, your only option would be solar.

My battery jump box has a USB port that could charge a cell phone for 100 charges. If you are concerned about long term survival without power, your only option would be solar.

That takes care of the phone, but the computer takes a bit more. It would probably do both. Plus, phones have Internet so I wouldn't necessarily NEED a computer.

Do you know how long a generator would power a fridge for?

A portable gasoline generator is the cheapest way to have a large back-up power source, but it comes chock-full of issues. These must never be run in a building with humans or animals in it- not even in an attached garage with the big door wide open. Matthew may have run it's course but we will see more deaths yet from improper generator use. Problems with these are fuel: today's gas does not store well and after sitting 2-3 months it may not start or run a small engine. Ethanol-free gas is best but anything will work if it's fresh. You can't just put it away and forget about it when you're done or it will not start when you need it. The easiest way out is to let it run out of fuel, add half a gallon of fresh gas with a fuel stabilizer mixed in it, start it and let it run a couple minutes, then turn it off. Do NOT run the carburetor dry- leave the gas in there and turn the fuel tap off after the engine is stopped. Every couple months or so drag it out start it, letting it run at least ten minutes with a good-sized electrical load plugged in, and add another half-gallon of fresh stabilized fuel. When the tank becomes full, drain it and start over. You need that electrical load when 'exercising' your generator as that renews the tiny bit of magnetism inside which lets the machine start making power (short version on a complex topic).

Old wisdom was to run the carb dry but with today's crappy gas doing that is guaranteed to gum up the carburetor during storage. By running it ten minutes you refresh the gas in the carb and as long as it stays wet in there gum cannot form. The engine heat will evaporate any condensation which has formed in the oil. The oil being splashed around will prevent rust on the engine internals. You can store with a dry carb if you take it of and clean it with carb cleaner, blow air through all passages, then spray WD40 on and through everything before reattaching it. You will need to renew that process annually if it's stored in an uncontrolled environment (no HVAC) and half as often if stored (with a totally empty gas tank!) inside.

I'm a Ham radio operator with over a decade's involvement with emergency and event communications, and this is how 95%+ of us store our generators which must always be ready to start and run immediately at all times. It is a system that works without fail but you cannot overlook that 2 month workout or annual carb cleaning schedule, nor can you use anything but fresh gas. The old stuff is OK to run in your car if you mix a gallon or two of it with a fill-up. Car engines have larger fuel passages less prone to clogging and the computer will compensate for any weakness in the fuel. If you put it in your lawnmower (or other small engine) it will clog that machine up so don't go there. I have also spent a few years as a professional car and motorcycle mechanic including doing some performance work so I know whereof I'm speaking.

Propane (LP gas) is a cleaner fuel and with it you only have to worry about internal rust and condensation in the oil. It stores forever as-is, but it's also harder to obtain in emergencies since everyone gets it all to cook with early in the game, and far fewer places sell it. But if you can store enough of it safely (outside of your house only again) it by far the better way to go. The downsides are bulk of an external tank, lack of an easy way to measure quantity, and it's habit of flowing low across slabs to an ignition source if it leaks.

For a permanent installation of an at-home generator it's best to seek local advice. The usual fuels are diesel and either natural or LP gas based on the local supply and weather situation.

This is just a very condensed 'primer' on generators; barely enough to get by on. There's a lot more to know about small engines and generators (they're actually alternators since they make AC and not DC) which you should know to get the best from them. And most important is safety which you can easily find for yourself. DO that before buying or operating a generator or it may be the last purchase of your life!

Phil

Great info Phil thanks for sharing!

Depends on the size of the generator and the size and use of the fridge. The little 1000w generator I purchased has a run time of 8 hours on I believe a 1/2 gallon of gas. It will run my fridge and maybe a few lights inside during an emergency. My neighbor has a 7000w monster and it goes through a gallon of fuel every hour, but can run about 5 fridges and a dozen lights. Remember, chances are, with any larger natural disaster, you will have no internet connection so the computer would be worthless.

Another interesting forum I dabble in is www.preparedsociety.com. There are many members who live off the grid for years at a time, and have provided alot of useful information. If you have some time, stop by and say hello!

After all this is a DIY forum. No need to go outside and start a gen or go to a gas station that might be out of gas.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAZIDFMRXY[/ame]

For some strange reason, I am now thinking of the Flintstone's famous pedal car! :p

Haha it got his onion chopped though. I don’t think I would run the freezer off it but to charge your phone and computer why not. Plus it is great exercise and better for you than swimming in the pool with too much chlorine.

There is no way that thing would fun a fridge even if I was pedaling it.

A 5W phone charger - maybe.

I'm not about to do all that weird stuff.

You don't need to keep your fridge plugged into it all the time. Power up the fridge and let it run until it stops, then move the power to something else. If you don't open the door to the fridge it will stay cold without power for a while. Plug the fridge in every hour or so and let it run until it stops. This can make your fuel supply last a lot longer.

An electric stove will use a lot of power. If you have a gas stove it won't take much power to run the cook top. Oven may take a bit more, but they are typically on a 20 amp 120 VAC circuit, and not even a dedicated one.

Your Internet connection will likely be down if there is a widespread power outage anyway so powering your PC may not be essential. You should be able to use your cell phone for most of your browsing. Of course if you really want to you can use your cell as a wireless hotspot for your PC.

A gas furnace can be run on a portable generator, again like the fridge, it doesn't need to be hooked up all the time even in colder areas. Run it for 15 minutes every hour to keep the house comfortable. Central air requires a larger generator like a permanently wired back-up generator.

As others mentioned, I'd keep the generator out of the garage even with the door wide open. Hurricanes and ice storms don't generally sneak up on us. If you buy a generator you can go out and stock up on gas as the forecast begins taking shape. You normally know you might be in the path of the storm a week in advance. The path can change and if you don't need the extra fuel you can always run it in your car or other gas engines.

That bicycle alternator idea would work as a backup to solar on charging a couple deep cycle batteries if needed. Better yet build a fan on it and leave it outside in the storm, it will keep your batteries topped off. I have thought about building one for my yard to power some LED lights for the fun of it.

Latest posts

Back