How to screed cement for large area?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting on iPhone for a report.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

OMG you guys should've told me how labor intensive pouring gets Lol.
I'm totally burnt out. Started at 10 this morning. Didn't get everything done till 5. My arms are about to fall out of their sockets.

Pretty much everything you said was spot on. I learned the hard way.

image.jpg

Should've gotten more help maybe one more would've made thing a little easier.

image.jpg

I do kind of remember someone calculating the number of wheelbarrow loads for you and estimating how many guys you might need. :) Now you know why you never want to pick a fight with a concrete finisher. They get up every morning and do it again.

How did the homemade float work? How long did it take to unload the truck? Any pics of the pour?

And most importantly did it meet approval of the little lady?

I think he gave up and tossed all the mud down the storm drain.

The homemade bull float was a disaster, I've should've added some screw eyes and steel wire to angle it.

From the time we put up the form to finish everything it took us a good 6 hrs. We had a little leftover so that went to the front of the house. Couldn't get any pics because I was too busy trying to catch a breath so save my life :) I now have a total appreciation for those that work with concrete, especially those w/o a pump.

The little lady was too busy having a blast at dinner with her friends last nite. By the time she gets home it was too late. She did notice my sunburn from my face down to my lower torso. She said my body looks like pottery straight from the kiln.

I notice this morning there's a small area that isn't flat and a bit rough. Anything I could do to make it look right or just too late by now?

What is done is done. Aside from another large project you have what you have. Take some pics. I'd like to see the end result. Are you for the most part happy with it? Thats a big area to learn on.

Overall it was what I expected, not as nice as the pro but for the intended purpose it's more than adequate. The same two helpers are coming back next week to clean up my yard in case you didn't see ,all the garbage we collected over the years ,in the background. One of the guy is going to help me put up a patio cover.

You're right this pour was a huge project to take on but a good lesson nevertheless. Great tips from you all + my inexperience = A passing grade. Can't ask much more than that from a first timer like myself.

Putting up more pics later this evening.

All that matters is that you are happy with it. If your friends don't like it tell them to leave.

As long as its flat enough to set the hot tub on is all that counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Haha Once the translucent patio cover goes up, clean up the yard, put in a mid size koi pond I think everything ties in together will turn out ok.

Now does anyone know how to pop my shoulder back into its socket :)

Jump off the roof onto your new concrete and your shoulder will be fine.

you guys are just too funny. Lmao

This is the hardest thing I've ever did in my life. Anyone that does this for a living get my utmost respect for sure. No wonder I got quoted ton of $ for this. 4k for the slab alone, 10 if I added a roof. Krazy money but now i know why.

Now you know why we are a DIY website. We like to help folks do things correctly and do it themselves.

No doubt about that. Before I found this forum I didn't know lick about cement. If I didn't read up on info and the sound advice given on here, I'd majorly BLEEP things up the moment the mix hit the ground. No jokes!

When do we get to see your glory? You should see my first concrete job, it's at the landfill now.

Back