how to select quality fixtures?

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by ugabulldog, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1

ugabulldog

ugabulldog

ugabulldog

owner/builder

Anything I should look for to distinguish quality light fixtures over cheapos? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Nov 30, 2007 #2

kok328

kok328

kok328

assuming you've narrowed down the type of lighting you want, additional considerations would be:
    look for brand name
    look for coutry of manufacture
    look for type of bulbs it is capable of
    most of all, price will tell you something about the quality.

3. Nov 30, 2007 #3

ToolGuy

ToolGuy

ToolGuy

One thing I always look at is if the lamp holder is plastic or porcelain. Better quality lights usually use porcelain.

Much of the quality is inside the light and not redily visible. Better quality switches, better quality soldered connections, etc. Going with higher-end lighting is usually your safest bet. If the price is cheap, you can pretty much rest assure the quality will be cheap too.

Lighting suppliers usually carry overall better quality than the big-box stores (depot, lowes, etc) but that's not to say they don't also carry better quality, just that they also have cheap stuff for those customers who don't want to spend much. In short, lighting is one of those things where you generally get what you pay for.

4. Dec 2, 2007 #4

480sparky

480sparky

480sparky

I have noticed, as a general rule, the heavier it is for it's size, the better it is. Flimsy = cheap.