HVAC evaporator service problem?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmars

Reaction score
This HVAC central unit was installed in 1991. No maintenance service ppl have ever opened the evap door or foamed out the condenser.

I just opened the evap door and I see that there is NO access to below the coils. Not even from the air handler/furnace. So, I cant even see them. Is it useful to still spray the top side of coils with the cleaning foam? I could only spray 2 of the three coils.

Ive read yearly service should include:

"The underside of the evaporator should be cleaned with a stiff brush. When the coils are free of dust and dirt, clean the tray below the evaporator". I cant do this at all.

So, I dont know if there is a tray or how dirty it might be. Foaming the coils from the top might make the tray worse. Note that the drain works fine. I recently got the manufacturer's installation document online and it mentioned installing a trap. There is no trap in mine and yes I can see the entire line.

So, should I spray them from the top?

evap unit is CAC BDP Carrier model CK5(A,B,P)XW024017

pictures:

paul

Any maintenance you can perform is better than nothing.
There is a tray, it catches the condensate off the coils and sends it out the drain.
A lil bit of bleach will kill bacteria developing on the tray.
Do not use a stiff brush unless you can get good shot at the coils. You don't want to fold the fins on the coil.

Hi, if the cabinet is sealed good and you have a descent filter, the coils are probably fine, more concern should be given to the condenser section.
geo🇺🇸

Back