HVAC question for Basement Finishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohnston

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages for finishing my basement. I'm thinking about HVAC. When the house was built we had the future layout of the basement designed. New code required them to Sheetrock the ceiling even though it is unfinished. Because of this, it looks like they ran supply air to each of the future rooms. However, I only see 1 return air for the whole basement located where the main living room would be down there. Do I need to look at ducting additional return vents in the other rooms (bedroom, and Media room), or am I good with just the single return?

So, any changes would require digging into finished ceiling, doing it later would not be a lot more work.
I live in a basement suite, mostly full 8 ft below ground level, no AC required if doors are left closed.

Yeah, I know it stays in the upper 60s down in my basement right now. I just put a thermometer down there that saves the lowest and highest temp so I can try and figure out the extremes over the year, but only did that about a week ago. I just didn't know if I needed to add any cold air returns, or if I am best to keep the system as is with just the one main return, etc. or what code would dictate.

I really appreciate all the help you've given me! I'm really new to all of this, so I don't always follow what is said until I read it a few times. lol

SO in your opinion you think I am good leaving the HVAC as is?

Where I am the ground stays cool thru the summer and basement benefits from that, but that might not be the same in a warmer dryer place and I don't have sun shinning on a big window all day or have kids running in and out.

Today we are having a day in the high 90s the kids upstairs will be suffering with heat inside over 100 and I will open the door to stop my heat from coming on.;)

Back