Ice Maker Issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tailgunner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fridgedare model MFI2665XEM6 refrigerator freezer on the bottom. not making ice. Water is dispensing just fine. Bin is empty. Unplugged the unit for about 15 minutes, no luck . Any help would be appreciated !

When in doubt, defrost your freezer. I've had water freeze in the wrong place, like the filler tube and stop it from filling. Or the cubes getting stuck and the ejector just can't dispense them. You can speed up the process with a hair dryer directed into the ice maker area. You might be able to pull the ice maker out by removing a couple of screws and an electrical connection. Before you call a repair person try the defrost option.

Thanks, Sparky. Evidently That 15 minute defrost worked, because when I returned home after a couple of hours, I had new ice in the bin. This fridge is 10 years old, and has been trouble free. Typically, how long do you need to defrost it ?

I had an Amana in our last house, every time I shut the water off when we went away the filler tube would be frozen upon our return. Our current Whirlpool froze up once in 22 years. Defrost is my go to repair attempt before trying something bigger. The Whirlpool's ice maker broke a year or two ago. I had one from our laundry room refrigerator/freezer that I had removed because we never hooked up water to it. It fit perfectly and has been working like a champ for awhile now. I've occasionally had a frozen puddle of water in the bottom of the freezer compartment in the past year. The drainage tube has gotten clogged after all this time. This fridge is the next appliance to be replaced, but she keeps on chugging along and I hate to get rid of it just to get the latest and greatest.

New Issue. The ice maker only makes about 1/3 of a bin of ice, then stops. I looked inside, and found the lever was not down, and I could not lower it . went back to check later it was down ?

Back