In the market for a new fridge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bough a Samsung frig , it had a panel in the freezer that looked like one could by a add on ice maker, the salesman said i could install one . I got the frig and ordered the icemaker from amazon and the solenoid valve . I tried several times to install it no way. I called Samsung several times no help from them . I went on line and found several others had the same trouble . After spending more than 20 hours on this i gave up. I now make ice in a ice cube tray .
So you were adding an ice maker to the fridge? I wouldn't want to do that. I'd rather have a stand-alone ice-maker.

I went premium with a US made sub-zero. 8 years old and still working great. Bottom freezer with ice maker, no water dispenser. We use a lot of ice, I'd never go without an ice maker again. We had water/ice through the door on a Kitchen-aid at the last house. Had ice maker trouble and I agree, took up too much space. Otherwise it was a good fridge.
So the new fridge you got only has an ice-maker, no water dispenser? The ice-maker doesn't take too much room? Do you prefer this set up or do you wish the ice-maker were a stand-alone?

What's the model of the fridge you got? I imagine you would recommend this?

Avoid LG and Samsung. Do not get a door mounted ice/water in the refrigerator section. Only if it is mounted in a freezer door otherwise will be a problem.
Any brand you would recommend? Any recommendations for a stand-alone ice-maker?

Where the failure on our SAMSUNG was the door panel around the ice/water dispenser and Samsung service agreed to repair, but they'd need to take the entire door with them.
Damn. No, I want to avoid that. Thanks.

I went premium with a US made sub-zero. 8 years old and still working great. Bottom freezer with ice maker, no water dispenser. We use a lot of ice, I'd never go without an ice maker again. We had water/ice through the door on a Kitchen-aid at the last house. Had ice maker trouble and I agree, took up too much space. Otherwise it was a good fridge.
Where did you buy yours? Online or at a store?

Back