Installing electric in a detached garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to run a new 60 amp circuit from my home's main service panel, underground to a new sub panel in a detached garage, which is about 60 feet from the house. Still just in the discovery/research phase, so I have several questions regarding the setup:

My main 200 amp panel is in my attached garage, of which I have 1 double pole slot available to install a 60 amp breaker. From here I intend to run wiring through the exterior wall into PVC conduit body, and then into 1 inch or 1.5 inch PVC pipe buried 18 inches below ground up into the detached garage to a new sub-panel. From there I plan to install one 15 amp circuit for general lighting, two 20 amp circuits for outlets and one 30 amp circuit for a 30amp/240 volt receptacle.

For this intended setup I'm not sure whether I should run 3 or 4 wires (1 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground OR 2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground). I'm thinking I need a 4 wire setup, in order to be able to use a double phase 30 amp breaker (240 volt) in the sub-panel, but please correct me if that logic is wrong. Does the sub-panel need to also have a main 60 amp disconnect breaker as well?

From what I've researched, I need to use #6 AWG THWN rated wire for the hot(s) and neutral wire, and #10 AWG THWN for the ground wire. Should this wiring also be encased in PVC conduit after it exits the main panel, and travels down an interior wall before going through a hole cut in the wall to the exterior? Again looking for confirmation/clarification here.

Another question is whether the sub-panel itself will need to have grounding rods installed, or if the ground running from the main panel is sufficient. I've heard differing opinions on which is correct. This leads into another question as to whether the neutral and ground need to be isolated in the sub-panel? Anyone who has further explanation / links to images as to how this looks in the sub-panel would be helpful for me to understand.

I'm sure there is more I am leaving out, what else should I be considering? Thanks in advance!

You are required to run four wires.
You are required to install ground rods.
You are required to keep neutrals and grounds separate. The grounds from the house connect to the rods and the ground bar in the panel. The neutral bar is isolated from the case. Usually that means removing the green bonding screw from the bar.

Yes on the #6 wire.
Outlets need to be GFI protected.
I find it easier to to use a deeper box where installing the GFI so I do not have to fight the wires.

Back